Have you ever had BBQ so good....

"Here" on LI, theres really no smoking culture, other then fish. A few places have tried over the last few years and mostly failed. A few remain and frankly, not that good. There was even a sponsored comp that catered to local teams and from what I saw, mostly brisket, was pretty mediocre. So if I want edible ribs and such I have to make it myself.
There is a new guy running a trailer who"s also a friend of mine that just started this month, selling on weekends , his stuff is pretty good, He should do ok if he stays in the trailer.

Yes!

Maryland isn't known for Q but a few places within my vicinity have in my opinion some decent servings...but what do I know LOL.

Myron Mixon has a place in Alexandria, Virginia which I really enjoy and the customer service is second to none. Also a place in Frederick, Maryland called "Black Hogg" has some pretty decent Q as well.

No.

Even BBQ brisket (my weakest cook) has been better than most restaurants. My best Texas style brisket was better than any restaurant Q brisket I've tasted.

Chicago style rib tips (that need an aquarium smoker) or Montreal smoked meat @ Schwartz's might be exceptions, but one has to do with lack of proper equipment, while the other is a cook style I've never tried.

My wife refuses to eat ribs and pulled pork anywhere but home. So do I for that matter.

However, we stopped at a place a short bit away we had never been to before. Man alive their ribs were top notch! Their brisket, YUCK! Way over cooked. Not sure I would go there very often as they are REAL proud of their products. My pockets are not that deep most of the time.

I'm not a rib master ...YET.

But the last brisket I cooked on the Weber, I'd put it on the same table as anyone in the country.

I much prefer Polo Regio or Pollo Loco Chicken over mine. I can't figure out how to duplicate it or make something better......

And although I've never tasted it - pretty much Everything Cowgirl posts.........

SMH... Sonny's and Smokey Bones amaze me anytime I see someone inside. We have a new Dicky's and a Mission but I haven't stepped foot in either. We have 4 Rivers as well and while I don't particularly care for their meat, their sides are good!

Yes, Smokey Bones too! There are several 4 Rivers in the Orlando area, and it's probably about the best we have. I love the sweet potato casserole, but the brisket can't come close to my favorite BBQ place back in Virginia.

Anyone on this site been to County Grill in Hampton or Yorktown Virginia? Probably not in the same solar system as Texas brisket but the best I've had yet.

We had an original Smokey Bonz and still have the newer one that replaced it. Had some VERY good ribs in the old one, so they got some things right. Of course it went downhill pretty quick once the original franchise closed. One of the reasons I started cooking my own bbq.

It made you hate your own?

Yes, I was using a bradley electric cabinet smoker turning out what I thought was decent bbq. Last summer I went to a pot luck pool party and some dude brought ribs that he cooked on some built in patio smoker. Put mine to shame and were the best ribs I'd ever had.

Two weeks later I bought a 270 Smokers cabinet smoker and my ribs are now just as awesome.

No...but I have sold a guy a pound with sides...watch him eat it all, stand up, and buy another pound...only to eat all that one as well.

I much prefer Polo Regio or Pollo Loco Chicken over mine. I can't figure out how to duplicate it or make something better......

And although I've never tasted it - pretty much Everything Cowgirl posts.........

Don't you need an open pit for their style? And some citrus marinated chicken, if I remember correctly.

Don't you need an open pit for their style? And some citrus marinated chicken, if I remember correctly.

LEdByyI.jpg

zf9YxRMl.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still trying to get my brisket to the level Jeremy smoked brisket at, "the Prized Pig"! His brisket was far and away the best brisket I've ever had. I was fortunate enough to live only 25 miles away and frequented the place often. RIP Prized Pig, miss your cooking Jeremy, hope all is well.

No...but I have sold a guy a pound with sides...watch him eat it all, stand up, and buy another pound...only to eat all that one as well.

When I was traveling about 30 years ago, some of the great places in Lexington, NC and High Point, NC had a special called "a pint, a pound and a dozen". It was a pint of slaw, a pound of pulled pork and a dozen hush puppies. It was delicious and I have eaten it many times.

As far as my cooking, my pulled pork is fair to good depending on the particular butt. Have very good luck with my ribs. My chicken tastes fairly good, but just like a lot of folks, I stumble with the texture of the skin. To keep from floundering with brisket, I cook chuck and sirloin tip. For miscellaneous meat, I cook a killer meat loaf. I'm always looking for other main dishes.

There is a place 5 minutes from me called Bucky's that was just fair, but since he has been competing at SCBA events his Q has improved greatly. Figure that? The biggest improvement has been the fat content in his ribs and pork. Other than that, Carolina BBQ in Spartanburg, SC is about 30 minutes away and has really good food

I can honestly say that I've never had BBQ anywhere that made me hate my own......and I'm pretty well traveled.

I've had Q that I would consider better than mine, and I always like to talk to the pit master as to how it's done if possible.

I really like my Q, hits or misses, just for the simple fact of planning and executing the cook. I truly enjoy the journey as much as I do the destination. I like to learn from my mistakes. My hits have been spectacular, while most of my misses have at least been edible. :-D

My Q is as honest as it gets - I aim to cook to my tastes, with no excuses if it doesn't get there beyond learning a lesson or three. :-D

It's way better than Billy Sim's BBQ in the OK area.

Recently, I found myself in Chickasha, OK. My buddy yells "There's a Billy Sims', there's a Billy Sims'! Lets try it!" and in we went. Probably about the worst BBQ we've ever tasted....and we've suffered some pretty bad stuff.

The cokes were okay........

YES!! When I went to Austin, I began hating my own cooking.

I never seem to make food as good as others taste... I think it's in my head or I just really suck at this...lol

YES!! When I went to Austin, I began hating my own cooking.

I never seem to make food as good as others taste... I think it's in my head or I just really suck at this...lol
I have eaten your brisket and tried samples of the stuff you brought back from Austin. If you hate your own cooking it is definitely in your head.

Back