Have you ever had BBQ so good....

Agree with the above assessments. Although I'm humbled by what I see brethren doing on here, doing my own has ruined me for most commercial offerings

Yes! Definitely!

....Last SoCal Brethren GTG. :becky:

Beat me to it. There was so much incredible food there!

I feel the same way at our Texas Bashes. Everybody's bringing their A-game and there's always great food and wonderful fellowship.

Agree with the above assessments. Although I'm humbled by what I see brethren doing on here, doing my own has ruined me for most commercial offerings
\

Well its not really about the commercial offers, as they in my personal experience have been $hit. In my case, it was a local guy that put out some killer BBQ with a single axle trailer and a offset he parked on a decently traveled route. I went there on a monthly basis until he was no longer there, I wondered why, then i found out he died.

Without sounding lame and sentimental, my father and a buddy of his used to cook up all sorts of bbq on their weird and unconventional stick burners.
We ate goat ribs, clod, pig nuts, you name it.
They had a way with smoke that has never been bettered by anything I've actually payed money for.

Aurthur Bryant's changed my life one Sunday afternoon. I have a SF on order for next summer and I hope and pray that one day, I can recreate the burnt ends that I had there. GREAT FOOD!

I always can find better steaks or chicken. I am quite proud of my ribs (one recent exception!!), turkey, pulled pork, and now brisket (Thank you to the Brethren and all their info). I just can’t get my chicken where it needs to be and my steaks are fine/good.....but for some reason certain steak places in our area ....they just have a better flavor......so the battle rages!!!!!!!

I'm quite happy with all my pork offerings but sausage and brisket need some work. I think it's still better than what I can get in a restaurant in Florida but when I'm in Texas it's a different story.

I'm just curious if you've been to any BBQ places in Lakeland. Peebles and Jimbos are good and I've heard that Grangers is good too. I used to work in Tampa once a week but never had any BBQ there.

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/barbecue/1-heirloom-market-bbq/

I stumbled by fortune into Heirloom Market many years ago. I've actually seen the Texas spit they reference. This BBQ sandwich with the pickled ginger kimchi slaw was the best- and maybe last BBQ I've eaten out. On the rare occasion I find myself at a BBQ restaurant, usually purchase the mild/spicy sausage and sides- and that's only 1 at most twice per year.

BTW: I had a relative a while back sitting at my table and tell me that Rib Crib ribs "may be the best they've ever had"- whilst eating my ribs. Bride nearly lifted off like a silent rocket. Karma and me just smiled and took notes.

Flash forward-- same relative called and asked me next time I cook would I cook them a couple racks of ribs. I laughed and said "no, Call Rib Crib". Their plate is broken:)

But I am curious now, may have to try Rib Crib- it's less than a mile from my trailer park.

Last edited:
I'm just curious if you've been to any BBQ places in Lakeland. Peebles and Jimbos are good and I've heard that Grangers is good too. I used to work in Tampa once a week but never had any BBQ there.

Nope, I sure haven't. We don't spend a lot of time in Lakeland honestly. We frequent Plant City and I have an office in Bartow but Lakeland doesn't get a lot of action from us. Maybe it should!

I'm sure there's some good BBQ in Florida, I've just never had anything that made me think it was better than mine.

Eating BBQ when I moved to Alabama got me into cooking my own. At first all of my own was crap. Not that BAMA Q is that great. There are only a few in the state that still cook on site.

But that was 10 years ago. Nowadays my friends and family would only care to eat mine. Especially since I moved into a stick burner recently. Not that I don't have a brisket fail every now and then. As long as I have the time to focus on the cook it's usually pretty dang good.

I thought I was half way good until the Wife and I were invited by Brethren Robert and the Habitual Smokers team to one of the Sam's Club tourneys held here acouple of years back. It was our first taste of comp BBQ. Dayum! Been trying to UP my game ever since. Best we've ever had.

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately we seem to be on the 2017 WTF tour as we seem to have lost some of our mojo. What we think is good is cap with the judges and what we think is crap is good with the judges. That has always been the case somewhat, but this year more than ever.

So as not to derail the thread, I will have to say the answer would be no with one exception of Q 39 in Kansas City. Rob Magee is a trained chef and used to cook on the circuit and was Team of the Year one year. Everything that I have tried in his restaurant is top notch and every bit as good or better than what I cook. I highly recommend his restaurant to all of my friends.

Robert

I used to think everything was better than mine, then I thought nothing was better than mine, now I know few restaurants are better than mine, but a whole bunch of backyard grill jockeys are way better than mine. The more I know, the more I know I've got a long way to go--but it's a great journey.

Nope, I sure haven't. We don't spend a lot of time in Lakeland honestly. We frequent Plant City and I have an office in Bartow but Lakeland doesn't get a lot of action from us. Maybe it should!

I'm sure there's some good BBQ in Florida, I've just never had anything that made me think it was better than mine.

I'm not sure it's better than anything in Tampa, but among the best commercial places I've tried so far. With all the decent bbq places there I'm surprised that Sonny's gets so much traffic.

When I worked in Tampa one of my co-workers was Muslim, so that pretty much ruled out any bbq! They did introduce me to Korean BBQ and sushi though.

I mean....i could understand that possibly being a successful business venture in parts of the country where good bbq is less prevalent but for there to be so many in one of the better known bbq cities? It's not like there is a lack of options....i don't get it.
It's no different here in the Northeast. Despite the plethora of excellent real deal Italian restaurants, somehow Olive Garden (yuck) thrives here.

In Massachusetts, the only place I encountered that was better than what I can make was Uncle Pete's in Revere/East Boston. Unfortunately, Pete died several years ago and the family never reopened.....

I'm not sure it's better than anything in Tampa, but among the best commercial places I've tried so far. With all the decent bbq places there I'm surprised that Sonny's gets so much traffic.

When I worked in Tampa one of my co-workers was Muslim, so that pretty much ruled out any bbq! They did introduce me to Korean BBQ and sushi though.

SMH... Sonny's and Smokey Bones amaze me anytime I see someone inside. We have a new Dicky's and a Mission but I haven't stepped foot in either. We have 4 Rivers as well and while I don't particularly care for their meat, their sides are good!

Back