THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
I found hatch chilis "in the wild" for the first time in Memphis since I moved here. Yeah, I know you can order them, but I like being able to dig through and pick out the ones I want. I roasted several pounds of them and decided that at least some of them needed to wind up in a sausage.

I'll start off by saying that the end result tasted fantastic, but was lacking in the hatch flavor profile. It was there, but definitely not in the front seat like I had hoped. I guess I knew better but had been burned in the past, pun semi intended, by using peppers and pepper pulp with stuff that set you on fire.

Anyhoooooo......

%100 Pork
2.5% Sea Salt
2% Goat Milk Powder
1 % Black Pepper
1 % Garlic
.25% Cure #1

4% Roasted hatch chilis

Did the first grind of the butt and decided to add 1/2 the peppers into the grind. Was kind of hoping it would help get the flavor throughout the sausage.

olpJmDK.jpg

Just about the only time I don't mind seeing green in the pork.

gbp6Bpk.jpg

Gave it the meat and the rest of the ingredients a spin in the mixer then stuffed into lamb casings.

Fkehe7D.jpg

Let them rest in the fridge over night then into the smoker.

Amz1gqS.jpg

Out of the smoker at 150 IT and into an ice bath and back to the fridge.

hoJ2X56.jpg

Of course I did have to cut into one for quality purposes.

9DasxRr.jpg

Threw some on the grill later that evening. Always a balancing act on not splitting the casings since my wife likes them just about burnt. A couple got away from me, but not too very bad.

kNXIGFf.jpg

I am not a ketchup and mustard guy anyhow, but went completely naked to get a feel for it.

990813D.jpg

Maybe I was just extra hungry, but I really enjoyed this one. Definitely a keeper as is, but as mentioned at the start of the post, the hatch flavor was not prominent.

Will be doing them again with at least double the amount to get the hatch flavor prominent.

Those sausages look perfectly AWFUL!!!

And the way you describe the flavor? I’m thinking you probably shouldn’t even eat them!

Send them here forthwith for proper disposal!!!!

Looks fantastic Joe, I SWEAR you make me wanna start making sausages!

Great idea! I’d planned to do similar but “my dog ate my homework”. Well actually she ate all but 3 hatch chiles, and 2 or 3 heads of roasted garlic not pictured. A couple pukes and surprise poops later she’s fine but I’m not. I still want my roasted garlic hatch chile sausage. :becky: yours look great.

Looks fantastic. I like the recipe expressed in percentages like that. Only other place I see it normally is on a pizza forum I peruse at times.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74228&highlight=hatch+sausage

Have no idea if the pics show up for you all. Really old thread. The pics show up for me with a photobucket mark on them. This was early on and now I may use 2 or 3 times that amount of green chile. For me, it depends on the heat level. Mild, I will use more. But, if I bought hot or x hot....I will use a mixture along with mild for flavor and heat from the hotter variety. But, can't go wrong using a good bit. I may use 2 to 3 full quart size bags. I prefer to chop them up very fine first, then hand mix into the the blend after the first grind along with all the other stuff I add.

Made some habanero links once also................used way more habs than I should have and they were intense, but damn were they good.

Bob

Loving those links!

I'm not sure if I've used sheep casings - for whatever reason, I always associate those with breakfast links & merguez. How do you like 'em? Wondering if I'm missing out on hot sheep casing action.

I def. hear ya on no ketchup, but I do like a little mustard from time to time, esp. the Creole stuff. That said, a pure bite of homemade sausage with no adornment is about as good as it gets.

Great stuff, Joe! :clap2:

Loving those links!

I'm not sure if I've used sheep casings - for whatever reason, I always associate those with breakfast links & merguez. How do you like 'em? Wondering if I'm missing out on hot sheep casing action.

I def. hear ya on no ketchup, but I do like a little mustard from time to time, esp. the Creole stuff. That said, a pure bite of homemade sausage with no adornment is about as good as it gets.

Great stuff, Joe! :clap2:

I have had a love/hate relationship with sheep casings. I always found them so much harder to work with than hog casings due to the small size. Earlier in the year, I went on a hot dog making binge and got used to working with them.....just experience I guess, but I find them ok to work with now. Anyhow, the hog casings I have at home right now are farking huge and I knew I didn't want that large of a diameter for these so I went with the smaller even though they were smaller than I wanted. Ideally I would have had something in between the two..........but as with most things in life, the ideal wasn't an option.

The 4% is throwing me off. Bout how much is that?

Bob

Yo Bob!

So, for my sausage making, I do everything by % of the weight of the raw meat. I'd have to dig out my notes to see what the meat weight was on this, but either way, weigh your meat and take 4% of that.

2000 grams of raw meat = 2000 X .04 = 80 grams of peppers.

Hopefully that helps, I wish I could tell you 1/4 C of peppers per pound of meat or something like that, but I can't. I probably could give a guesstimate had I been paying attention for that sort of thing going in, but I didn't. I don't use any measuring cups, etc when making sausage, just a scale.

Great idea! I’d planned to do similar but “my dog ate my homework”. Well actually she ate all but 3 hatch chiles, and 2 or 3 heads of roasted garlic not pictured. A couple pukes and surprise poops later she’s fine but I’m not. I still want my roasted garlic hatch chile sausage. :becky: yours look great.

As a person with 5 dogs in the house this made me laugh way more than it should have. Far too relatable.

So I think I want to try this.
Please double check my cure amount for me.

I figure a 2# batch will be roughly 907 grams and need 2.2675 grams of cure #1. Right?

Also I have butter milk powder. Is that a reasonable sub for goat milk powder?

I may make a batch of bulk sausage and if I love it like I think I will then the stuffer makes an appearance...

Back