THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i'm cooking ribeyes tonight and this weekend, i'm making a recipe from southern living magazine....beer braised pot roast served over grits.....i will use a grill to do the roast and i'll choose a different stout beer.

1 pound small carrots with tops, peeled
1 (3- to 4-lb.) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons instant dark roast coffee
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons tomato paste

4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 (12-oz.) bottles stout beer
  • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 (1-oz.) containers home-style concentrated beef stock (from a 4.66-oz. package)
  • 2 pounds pearl onions
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • Hot cooked grits
  • Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs
1. Cut tops from carrots, leaving 1 inch of greenery on each. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. Rub coffee over roast, and let stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Cook roast in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until browned, reserving drippings in skillet. Place roast in a 6-qt. slow cooker.
2. Add tomato paste and garlic to hot drippings, and sauté 1 minute. Slowly add beer, whisking constantly. Stir in thyme and concentrated beef stock; bring to a boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until mixture reduces to about 3 cups.
3. Pour beer mixture over roast. Top roast with onions and carrots. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or until roast is fork-tender. Transfer roast to a serving platter, and shred into large chunks, discarding any large pieces of fat. Spoon vegetables onto platter around roast.
4. Skim fat from cooking liquid; transfer cooking liquid to a large saucepan. Whisk in vinegar. Whisk together cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water in a small bowl until smooth; add to mixture in pan, stirring until blended. Bring mixture to a boil, and boil, whisking often, 1 minute or until sauce reaches desired thickness. Serve sauce with roast, vegetables, and hot cooked grits.
Note: We tested with Guinness Extra Stout beer and Knorr Homestyle Concentrated Beef Stock.

I have a small pork butt in the fridge that I may throw on the pooper. I also may skip this weekend and cook it along with a bunch of leg quarters (Albertsons has them on sale for $0.49/lb) in the offset next week.

I'm in the same boat Billy. I'm between a small butt or some leg quarters. Wait......are we still takin Q? And then undecided on whether to do a rub on the butt or Mojo. Leaning towards the rub on butt with a Guava Marmalade glaze at the end.

Happy Phriday!

I gave my daughter one of my old offset's and she is having us over for chicken her second time using it! I think I will make some MOINK balls, I have never had them before but they sound great. I thought I could use them as an excuse to help her get her temp set up before she puts on the chicken!! She is excited about cooking for us and I hope it goes better then her first try with 2 briskets!! I tried to get her to just start small and work her way up but she went all out and invited a bunch of her friends over to eat at 6:00! She didn't watch her temp and had to finish the brisket in the oven it was after 10:00 PM when they finally ate. I think chicken will be a lot better choice for her patience level as a beginner!!

Rick!!

On Sat. some pig candy and kielbasa and eye-talian sausage to take to some Phamily, and on Sun. a Phew racks of ribs and a couple pork butts for Phamily that's coming over. Phamily and Phood weekend!

Have a great weekend Phu, crew, and the rest of y'all!

I want to line up some Guiness because I have a moose roast I would like to do a pepper stout beef thing with. I saw a video recently and it really looks good.

Hope to make some of Sam3's BBQ Pork Lo Mein.
The week has been busy for me, I'm hoping to have a quiet weekend at home. :grin:
Have a great weekend Phu and everyone!

pork ribs (spares? backs?) and chicken wings going on tomorrow early afternoon. still stumped on the sides, though.

edit: just saw online that spares are on sale at tom thumb - spares it is.

Last edited:
I told myself I wasn't going to do anything this weekend....then my Weed Dragon propane torch showed up. Now I HAVE to do something in order to see how it works....oh well, I tried :wink:

Just rolled back to the US... spending time with family in VA. Momma requested a couple of fatties to help stock the freezer for after I depart, and some wings for Saturday dinner.

Have a great weekend, folks!

Well, I'm glad you asked. I'm sitting here like a kid on Christmas eve because my Pitmaker BBQ Vault is ready for pickup tomorrow.

My menu for Sunday is 2 small tri-tips, a pork butt and rack of spares. Friends coming over might bring the odd additional item to throw in the smoker.

The tri-tips and pork butt will probably just get salt an pepper, but I'm going to throw some Habenero Death Dust from Oakridge BBQ on the spares. I think they're going to turn out great.

I also have a corned brisket in the freezer and I'm thinking about smoking it to make pastrami, but I've never done it before, so might hold off on that until later. I probably have more food than people to eat it as it is...

Back