Had a hankerin’ for tacos on the flat top

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
So I whipped up some al pastor marinade and deboned some chicken thighs and went to town.

Picked up these pork steaks on yellow tag “sell by today” special. No problem, since I planned to eat them today.

I decided to cut into small strips since I don’t have a trompo and figured this would allow for a quick marinade and good char development.

I’ve only made al pastor tacos a couple times and it’s been quite a while since the last time I did. Merged a couple recipes together and MSU. Orange juice, pineapple juice, ancho and guajillo peppers, one chipotle in adobo, garlic cloves, onion, achiotte paste, Mexican oregano, salt, cumin, probably something else I’m forgetting, all blended together.

Marinaded for a few hours

I like using deboned chicken thighs for taco fodder....I don’t know if it’s “authentic” but it tastes good so. I rubbed some avocado oil on them and then applied a healthy dose of Albukirky Green Chile seasoning, one of my favorites for chicken. Developed a nice crust on both sides and then thin cut across the grain.

I don’t have any pics of the pork getting cooked - I was a bit concerned about the sugar content of the marinade getting burnt so I was on top of them making sure that didn’t happen. I think next time I’ll leave the meat in bigger pieces to make flipping less labor intensive and then dice at the end like I did the thighs. They still turned out well though :thumb:

I had...quite a few, hit the spot :clap2: I love tacos

Dammit! Add me to the bunch that now want tacos.
That isn't a bad thing, unless you don't have any. Those look great!

Nice.

Tonight I smoked and seared pork steaks that had marinated 24 hours in a marinade the wife whipped up. Citrus based with some garlic and onion mixed in.

Smoked them at 275 until they were 160 and then gave them 90 seconds per side on the grill plates.

Sliced them up and made tacos. Tasted great.

Nice.

Tonight I smoked and seared pork steaks that had marinated 24 hours in a marinade the wife whipped up. Citrus based with some garlic and onion mixed in.

Smoked them at 275 until they were 160 and then gave them 90 seconds per side on the grill plates.

Sliced them up and made tacos. Tasted great.

That sounds good, pork steaks are a big deal on the other side of my state :thumb:

Back