Chicken al pastor and carne asada tacos

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I decided to make some "al pastor" chicken skewers this weekend. I've tried doing al pastor pork or chicken in the past using different devices, with varying degrees of success. The skewer idea seemed interesting, so I rolled with it.

Deboned several pounds of chicken thighs and cut into chunks. Whipped up an al pastor marinade using guajillo chiles, achiote past, orange juice, pineapple juice, and a few other spices. The meat marinades in the sauce for a few hours.

I also went freezer diving and came up with a piece of outside skirt steak that I bought from Wild Fork Foods awhile back. This was kind of last minute, so I just seasoned it with SPOG.

Using skewers and smaller pieces of meat really let the character al pastor char develop without requiring a vertical rotisserie or trompo to cook. The fresh pineapple was a great addition to the grill as well, and it was a delicious taco topping. The beef outside skirt was a nice change of pace too, usually only see inside skirt around here.

Paired with little bit of reposado tequila to wash things down :thumb:

Yes please! I always thought about using chicken for al pastor but never did. This is the push.

Great looking food. I never see outside skirt for sale around here. Looks like it can be ordered from the regular suppliers but at a high premium. I wonder if Costco has it?

Thanks,

Robert

I wonder if Costco has it?

I don’t recall it being particularly high from WFF but it was more than inside. I saw it at Costco Business Center in Las Vegas, but have never seen it at a regular Costco or at Sams. Their inventory does seem to vary depending on your geography so maybe it’s possible to find it at those places elsewhere.

Back