THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ummagumma

Got Wood.
So, my wife won a 30" Cuisinart electric smoker at work.

Never used one before, so I am looking for some tips.. and recipes.

Given the amount of time it takes to smoke, I am hesitant to do it in the garage , or on the wooden deck. (It's covered in snow, anyway..) so looks like I have to wait for the dry days in spring to use it. Probably my best bet is to schedule smoking for dry weekends & put it on the driveway outside the garage.

Anything specific I should be aware of ?

Smoking meats is an “outside” kind of thing unless you have the requisite venting/exhaust like in a joint.

That thing looks a lot like the Masterbuilt unit I started on - I made a lot of tasty ribs & butts on it. Jerky too.

Smoking using an electric is easy. Try a pork butt first, very forgiving piece of meat. This was my electric Cookshack a day after a blizzard in 2011. Just get a shovel...

Jdj22RWh.jpg

I've cooked a bunch of turkeys, butts and salmon on a Brinkman electric. I used wood chips for smoke and loaded it heavy for the 1st hour only. Keep the vents on top open. Mine is insulated so it retains heat well. I smoke on my sidewalk and would move the snow off and go for it.

I now have remote thermometers and wish I'd had them 15 years ago. All the heat comes out when the door is opened. If you like really smokey flavor try mesquite chips and hold on, its really good if you've acquired the taste.

I have the Grand-Daddies of the electric smokers... a Big Chief and a Little Chief. One is from the '70's and the other from the '80's. No bells or whistles, no thermostats, no insulation.... just a hot plate kind of thing and a pan for chips (and now pellets). I mostly use mine for hot smoked fish and or flavor smoking things like bacon, hams, sausages, and bologna. Mine won't get hot enough to fully cook ribs unless it's 90° outside and the smoker is in the sun.

Any improved models like the one you own, and several others work like an outdoor oven/smoker. I've seen many in action and as long as you accept the fact you need to experiment a little bit, it should be a fine addition to your arsenal of cookers. For example, some of the best prime rib I've ever eaten has come out of an electric smoker. Start off with a few fatties, or a meatloaf. Get a feel for your lowest pit temp as well as the highest pit temp. Chicken is cheap, try pieces first.... thighs or drumsticks marinated in Italian dressing is a good option that is inexpensive.

so I am looking for some tips.. and recipes.

Grab any oven cookable dish and have a play, just fool around as mentioned and learn it, good fun coming

Back