THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In L.A., I don't get Dr. Hogly Wogly's at all. I wouldn't put it on a Top 1000 list.

Bludso's on La Brea is the real deal. I haven't eaten barbecue in the South, so I can't say how it compares. But I've eaten at dozens of barbecue pits, such as Flint's many years ago in Berkeley and Oakland, and Bludso is my favorite. Very pure hardwood smoke flavor, great quality meats. They also make my favorite potato salad I've ever had.

I agree. His BBQ tasted good even after it had been hauled 45 miles to work for a company lunch sans Cambros.

Dr. Hogly Wogly's could and should have been replaced with Smoqued or BigMista's Sammich Shop.

If there were a top 28 worst BBQ places, My top 3 would be:

Dr. Hogly Wogly's
Dickey's
Smokey Fred's

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Ate at Dr. Hogly Wogly several times 10+ years ago. I remember the sauce really stood out but also vividly remember desperately wanting dental floss afterwards...every time. Not gonna be paying for BBQ in California, always disappointed compared to home made.

I am so ashamed that they chose The Shed to represent south Mississippi. This list makes me think that it was a popularity contest based off of tv time. The Shed is the biggest tourist trap we have around here. If you like paying high dollar for small portions of mediocre BBQ with not so great sauce, this is your place. If in the area, try Rob's On The Side in Pascagoula, MS, Hokies BBQ in Lucedale, MS, or the best around, The Brick Pit in Mobile, AL. I'll go as far as to say I'd take Dickey's BBQ over The Shed. I will note that The Shed was outstanding for about the first 5-8 years. Now, instead of good food, they just ride their popularity sadly.

Who cares about La bbq vs franklins. The crime is that Salt kick is number 2!!! Not close to the several others on the list I have been too....

I went to Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler TX Style BBQ once in the 80's and enjoyed it, but I was a little drunk and pretty dang stoned, like the kind of stoned where eating a hot dog from 7-11 becomes a fine dining experience, even if it's the last one on the roller thingee.

A coworker and I tried it again a year or 2 ago with clear minds, and as my friend so appropriately stated: "Dr. Hogly Wogly should be sued for malpractice.".

Amen! Dr Hogly Wogly?? Are they serious? :crazy:

They forgot to include the Bear Pit Greg. :puke:

I haven't eaten at most of the places listed, but whenever there is a "best of Atlanta" list, they always list places close to me I don't eat at because there are 2-3 better places nearby. I figure it's the same with this list. Having said that, Fox Bros. is very good.

7. Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC

Used to eat there once a week or so. Outstanding food.

Moved away and miss that joint.

Who cares about La bbq vs franklins. The crime is that Salt kick is number 2!!! Not close to the several others on the list I have been too....

I actually liked the Salt Lick. Great sauce and so different than the others. It was actually one of my first true central Texas BBQ that I tried in my college days.

Chicken is blah but I can't think of any other place besides Salt Lick and Hutchin's BBQ to have an all you can eat option. My bias here is certainly because of the quantity. I eat all I can and ask the waiter/waitress for a refill to take home. Works every time.

I actually tried Pappy's for the first time this past weekend. Ribs were really good but I was not impressed by the brisket or turkey.

There a several joints here that belong on this list. We might all disagree on the order placement though. Then there are some I've never heard of and then The Shed which IMO doesn't belong a best list.

The Salt Lick is #2 and best in Texas? HUH??? These Yankees have a lot to learn about BBQ. The Salt Lick is where you take the Inlaws from California to be entertained. Not where you take people who are looking for real central BBQ.

Last edited:
I went to Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler TX Style BBQ once in the 80's and enjoyed it, but I was a little drunk and pretty dang stoned, like the kind of stoned where eating a hot dog from 7-11 becomes a fine dining experience, even if it's the last one on the roller thingee.

A coworker and I tried it again a year or 2 ago with clear minds, and as my friend so appropriately stated: "Dr. Hogly Wogly should be sued for malpractice.".

But how were the portions?

I noticed #28 was one of about a dozen Chicago places that does Tips and Links combo very well.

I'm curious.

Do you all in other parts of the country do rib tips and hot links in your bbq establishments?

I've seen them sporadically on menus when I travel, but nearly every BBQ place in Chicago has the tip/link combo.

For anyone that hasn't tried it, it is a complete mess to eat, gnawing away on knuckles and spitting the cartilage, but man is it good eating. I need a bib and a roll of paper towel eating it.

I noticed #28 was one of about a dozen Chicago places that does Tips and Links combo very well.

I'm curious.

Do you all in other parts of the country do rib tips and hot links in your bbq establishments?

I've seen them sporadically on menus when I travel, but nearly every BBQ place in Chicago has the tip/link combo.

Hot links are common. Very rarely have I seen tips. I cannot ever recall seeing the combination of Tips and Links. I have not traveled to the Chicago area and had BBQ, however.

A recent review:

This place is feces. It seems to be subsisting entirely on its former reputation these days. I've heard that it was quite good back in the day, but now it's serving inferior food at unfair prices.

My husband and I stopped in for lunch on a Saturday. I ordered beef ribs and my husband ordered pork ribs. Both sets of ribs were overcooked and dry, and the meat was chewy and difficult to separate from the bones. A good rib should be moist and tender and the meat should fall off the bone. They were also swimming in a sea of sauce with the consistency of motor oil that did nothing to moisten the meat. The coleslaw tasted like it had been sitting out for a while. The macaroni salad was tasty but a tad bland...adding a hit of BBQ sauce helped.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back