Friends, Cajuns, Countrymen, lend me your ears. Errr, opinions.

I have only had in NOLA and sounds like a good plan to keep it that way.

The first Chorizo I had was not good and it took years before I tried it again.

Best Stop and Richard's would be my choice for "grocery store" boudin. The best boudin is fresh from small mom and pop stores. Never heard of Zummo's but that is probably because it is made in Texas and not distributed in Louisiana since there are so many local brands here. Definitely a different texture than sausage because of the rice. My preferred cooking method for fresh boudin is grilled over direct heat until 160-165 degrees internal. Be careful when probing as it will squirt more than sausage.

I
have a recipe for it, but cant find pork liver.
You can find pork liver at Asian stores, or some people substitute chicken livers.
Best Stop in Scott will ship - it's about $5 a pound, wrapped in one pound packs, and it holds well in the freezer - unlike their Andouille.
If you poach it, you don't eat the casing, you squeeze out the meat into your mouth (or on a plate).
SMOKE RINGS _it's not really like liver pudding - there is plenty of rice, chopped green onions, maybe poblano or jalapeno - it's very unique.

It's said a Cajun 7 course meal is a pound of Boudin and a six pack of beer.

I cut the casing off, make a patty of it, flour it, fry it a little crisp. Goes perfect with soft scrambled eggs that you've put some parmesan in (Donald Link recipe).

https://www.beststopinscott.com/

So its like a paste in a casing?:tape:
Like liver pudding?

OK, Thirdeye hit the thing that took me by surprise.
The texture.
I was expecting sausage texture, but it was more like tamale masa.
I liked the flavor, but it was less liver tasting than expected.
I can see that since it is first cooked, then ground and finally stuffed, it will be a different texture than other sausage.
Nothing like andoullie, smoked sausage or kielbasa.
I'm sure it would dissolve in a seafood boil.
The casing was inedible, it started shrinking back while simmering, exposing a couple inches of the boudin, which broke off when I turned them.
I ended up cutting the casings off.
All in all, I liked it.
I'm looking forward to finding some other brands to try.
Suggestions?
Thanks brethren!

It seems like a slight change in the process, or cooking changes the internal texture and the casing too. Because there is rice in the mix I don't get a pate kind of texture, but it's not firm like most other sausages. This is a good video that shows how to make it at home, they are baking it to keep the casing more edible. I started the video right before they stuff it.

https://youtu.be/Pzvlvu8SNfg?t=568

That brand is out of Beaumont, TX where I was born. I thought the boudin was ok, not great but nothing really objectionable about it. I usually poach it and cut the casings and eat it on saltines. I might doctor it up with some Tony's. If I don't feel like making my own, I use their Andouille in gumbo and it works really well. When I've made boudin, I used chicken and pork liver (at different times). Pork liver is far superior but harder to come by.

Last edited:
I can't find boudin around here. On the chance I find a convenience store deli that happens to have boudin balls, I will eat those by the dozen. I have a recipe for it, but cant find pork liver.

Chicken livers make a great substitute.for pork liver.

It seems like a slight change in the process, or cooking changes the internal texture and the casing too. Because there is rice in the mix I don't get a pate kind of texture, but it's not firm like most other sausages. This is a good video that shows how to make it at home, they are baking it to keep the casing more edible. I started the video right before they stuff it.

https://youtu.be/Pzvlvu8SNfg?t=568

That actually looks good. I only watched from where you linked the video, but it looks like really finely shredded cooked pork mixed with rice. Not at all what i thought it was.

That actually looks good. I only watched from where you linked the video, but it looks like really finely shredded cooked pork mixed with rice. Not at all what i thought it was.

Exactly. Good Boudin will have a good texture.
That Zummo stuff is soggy and mushy in my opinion. And lacking in flavor.

First time I ever ate any was from a grocery store in Bridge city Tx, brotherinlaw took me in there and I was in heaven, they make all their own sausages and they had a great variety , makes me sad we have nothing like that here. seen some of the of those local and wondered if worth buying some so so are better than no none lol there's a art to making sausages and while I have stuffed different sausages over the years I don't enjoy the labor

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the links! :p

Sorry, couldn't resist a good pun.

I don't think Raber's has reopened from the fire yet, but you're right, I'm sure they will have it when they do.
I was thinking that Alwan's, Pottstown or Echo Valley may be a source.
There's also a newer butcher shop in Morton, by Schooners that may be a source.

Off topic, but I saw that the Mexican place on North Jefferson reopened with the same owner.
Have you been back?

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the links! :p

Sorry, couldn't resist a good pun.

I don't think Raber's has reopened from the fire yet, but you're right, I'm sure they will have it when they do.
I was thinking that Alwan's, Pottstown or Echo Valley may be a source.
There's also a newer butcher shop in Morton, by Schooners that may be a source.

Off topic, but I saw that the Mexican place on North Jefferson reopened with the same owner.
Have you been back?

Lol......

Yeah, Raber's is still closed, but they are getting close. My buddy has a couple locker appointments with them coming soon. Echo Valley would probably have it as well. I don't think I've ever seen it at Alwan's or Pottstown. In fact, I went to Pottstown right before Memorial day, and I was pretty unimpressed. Used to be better....

As to the Mexican joint on Jefferson, I have seen it was open, but have not been back in there yet. I've just gotten back to Peoria after spending the last 3 years driving to Decatur. I have eaten there way back, and they had the best tongue tacos I've ever had, and the rest was good too.

Ed

Agreed on Pottstown. Another case of 2nd or 3rd generation taking over and changing things.

I've got a buddy who has to have the lengua tacos at least once a week!
I need to get over there and give them a try.

I've got a buddy who has to have the lengua tacos at least once a week!
I need to get over there and give them a try.

That settles it then!.....I have to travel to Texas next week, but guess I’m stopping in there when I get back in the office! Lol

Back