Friends, Cajuns, Countrymen, lend me your ears. Errr, opinions.

BuffettFan

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Terry
While perusing a small town grocery in Kentucky last month, I came across some boudin in the meat department.
I'm familiar with boudin, but it's not something found around here. I've never had it before.
Until tonight.
Due to time and weather, (It's more humid and stickier than an armpit out there), I simmered in water seasoned with kosher salt, black and cayenne pepper, then let rest and finally seared in a smoking hot cast iron skillet with bacon fat.
I served it over a plate of grits seasoned with salt, butter, cayenne and Frank's. I am out of Crystal.
Sorry, no pic of the plate.
Zummo's is the brand of the boudin and I've taken the long way around to ask, what do regular consumers of boudin think of this brand?
I'll wait till we get a few opinions before sharing my thoughts.

Last edited:
I had it once and I thought it was odd tasting, but I don't eat much boudin to begin with. Zummo's Party Time sausages are among my favorites though.

I can't find boudin around here. On the chance I find a convenience store deli that happens to have boudin balls, I will eat those by the dozen. I have a recipe for it, but cant find pork liver.

I've never had a manufactured boudin sausage, but it seems like every gas station and roadside store in rural Louisiana has their own version. It's unique because it's warm when stuffed (and harder to handle) and it's weird, but I like it squeezed on a cracker and don't worry about the casing.

I've never had a manufactured boudin sausage, but it seems like every gas station and roadside store in rural Louisiana has their own version. It's unique because it's warm when stuffed (and harder to handle) and it's weird, but I like it squeezed on a cracker and don't worry about the casing.

So its like a paste in a casing?:tape:
Like liver pudding?

OK, Thirdeye hit the thing that took me by surprise.
The texture.
I was expecting sausage texture, but it was more like tamale masa.
I liked the flavor, but it was less liver tasting than expected.
I can see that since it is first cooked, then ground and finally stuffed, it will be a different texture than other sausage.
Nothing like andoullie, smoked sausage or kielbasa.
I'm sure it would dissolve in a seafood boil.
The casing was inedible, it started shrinking back while simmering, exposing a couple inches of the boudin, which broke off when I turned them.
I ended up cutting the casings off.
All in all, I liked it.
I'm looking forward to finding some other brands to try.
Suggestions?
Thanks brethren!

Boudin is a cooked pork and liver and rice type of sausage. Good stuff.
I would only consider it a sausage because it's stuffed in a casing.

Sounds like PA dutch liver pudding. My grandmother loved liver pudding. I personally couldn't choke it down. Although its normally served cold, i would imagine warm would be harder to swallow.

That said, i love liver and onions.

I suggest you grill it gently. Splitting the casing will just spew your filling all over the grill. Sometimes you can actually crisp up the casing enough that it isn't offensive. Smoked Boudin is great also. But I still finish on the grill.

I’ve never heard of that brand. Back home, we usually pick up links in the deli counter. Either they make their own or pull it out of the packaging and stick it in the display case.

When visiting the SIL/BIL in way eastern Texas, and i don't have time to stop on the return trip in LA, I pick up several packs of Zummo and DJ's boudin (and other stuff). BIL says those are the best store brands.

I generally simmer mine to heat. Typically I squeeze the filling into a flour tortilla, sometimes with some melted cheddar.

I like Billy's the best. I love boudin but all I can find around here is Zummo's, so I don't eat any unless I travel somewhere that had some local made. As far as the liver mush comparison goes, I don't like liver, and most brands I've had don't have a strong liver flavor.

I can't find boudin around here. On the chance I find a convenience store deli that happens to have boudin balls, I will eat those by the dozen. I have a recipe for it, but cant find pork liver.

Chef Paul Prudhomme said that it should only be made with fresh liver. He said that when liver is frozen it has a much stronger flavor. I have seen on tv, some people use chicken liver since pork is hard to find.

Thanks for all the input!

I had planned to grill it, but was running behind, and it was a miserably hot and humid afternoon.
I didn't feel like tending a fire, honestly.

I did like the Zummo's, but didn't have a benchmark to judge it by.
I'm anxious to find some of the other brands mentioned as well as making some myself.
We do have a couple "Boutique" butcher shops that may carry some, or at least be a source for fresh pork liver.
I've seen (on tv) substituting chicken liver. It seems the trick is the correct liver/pork/rice ratio.

Yup. Gonna have to make some...

Back