THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jedei120

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
All this is a first for me so I need some Brethren to chime in with yall's opinions. I plan on Brining a chicken, then spatchcocking, then smoking on a brand new Gateway Drum Smoker. I seasoned the smoker last weekend with a Crisco wipe down followed by 300° for a few hours followed by 230°~250° all weekend long. Mostly all weekend because I was playing with the PitmasterIQ IQ120 temperature control unit and a Maverick ET-73. Amazing electronic controls!

Brine recipe from what I have gleaned off Q-talk:
2 quarts apple juice
2 quarts water
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
4 table spoons black pepper
4 table spoons chopped garlic
1/2 onion chopped
1 teaspoon allspice
1 oz Morton's Tenderquick (optional)

1) Heat water/salt/sugars to rolling boil. Take off burner, add other ingredients. Allow mixture to cool before placing meat into solution.

2) Place chicken in container with solution covering bird. Refrigerate for minimum of 8 hours.

Question….Do you brine first then spatchcock or spatchcock then brine?

Cooking on Gateway Drum Smoker:

1) Remove from brine and spatchcock the chicken per this video:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppa1bxB89vg"]Spatchcock Chicken Technique - How to Spatchcock a Chicken - YouTube[/ame]

2) Inject Tony Chachere's Creole Butter marinade

3) Rub a mixture of soft butter, rosemary, pepper & garlic powder underneath skin.

4) Coat outside of chicken with EVOO followed by Plowboys Yardbird rub and place in refrigerator.

5) Load smoker with charcoal and a small amount of cherry wood on top so as not to over smoke.

6) Light coals and place in smoker adjusting temperature to a steady 325°.

7) Put in diffuser plate on lower level and water pan on mid level.

8 ) Place bird on upper rack skin side down. After 30 minutes flip chicken over.

9) Cook bird until 155° in the breast and 165° in the thigh.

10) Spray bird every 30 minutes with a mixture of lime and butter.

Question….Do I need to flip bird more than once?

Estimate cooking time 1.5 hours?

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if you brine then cut, or cut then brine.

Flipping is your call, some do, some don't. It's just up to you. I sometimes do on my uds, and sometimes I don't. sooo,.. I'm sure that was helpful...

Sounds like you have a good plan, jump in, get your feet wet! I'm sure it'll be delicious!

Everything I can see looks good, my only concern would be the amount of salt. If you brine, then inject with something containing salt, then use a salty rub like Yardbird, you may go a bit over board. Personally I would either brine or inject but not both.

I did a spatch-bird last night. Simple water/salt brine, rinse, split, garlic and rosemary butter under the skin, EVOO on skin with S&P. Except I put mine in an oiled iron skillet with a few pieces of garlic, skin up. 325* until IT 170*. Little mess and the skin still gets good and crispy. Oh yeah, had a chunk of Pecan for smoke. Gave it a nutty flavor.

I really like to spatchcock a chicken and brine Make sure the brine is cold ZI use thirdeye's, from his blog, light brine as I guess I am sensitive to salt I believe Patiodaddio has a good one too I also believe that the bird will cook faster if brined

I spatchcock first, then brine. I do it for 2 reasons; 1, makes the bird "smaller" and takes up less space in the brine bucket, also uses less brine. 2, easier to rinse the entire thing before putting it on the cooker.

As others have said, it doesn't matter which you do first, it's all a matter of preference.

Matt

That's a well loved bird and is going to be outstanding. Spatchcock is the way to go!

Back