Friday night fish fry at the Royal

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
Yo to all, I was doing a long overdue cleaning of my 25 year-old email account and found this email I had sent out to my Royal friends almost ten years ago. It is a batter recipe and cooking instructions for the fish and potato wedges we cooked for our neighbors at our Friday night fish fry at the American Royal:

Howdy Folks, I paid my entry fee to the Royal yesterday. Hard to believe this will be my 25th and maybe last year cooking this contest. For the last ten years or so, our team has done a Friday night fish fry. We always cook up way too much fish and wind up giving left-overs away to our neighbors. Last year I had several folks asking for my batter recipe(s). I don't think I ever posted them so here you go.

For the most part, I have always used Zatarain's Crispy Southern Fish Fry. These last few years I have stretched out the Zatarains with my own batter recipe. I use my batter recipe for chicken strips, pork chops and tenderloins. I use an egg bath before coating the meat and then right into the 375ºF grease it goes. The fish is dry batter only. Fish is usually done in 3-4 minutes and pork and chicken take longer. Before adding another batch of fish/meat, make sure the oil has come back to 375ºF. You can also bake the chicken or pork with this method at 325ºF.

One thing I like to cook with the batter are potato wedges. I half bake the potatoes and let them cool enough where they can be handled. Once cooled somewhat, I quarter them and coat them with the dry batter. The warmer the wedges, the better the batter adheres to the wedge. Then into the 375ºF grease they go for about five minutes. Here is the batter recipe:

1 TBL Garlic Powder
3 TBL Cajun Seasoning
1 TBL Natures Seasoning
1 TBL Seasoned Salt
3 TBL Lemon Pepper
1 TBL Onion Powder
2 TBL Cavender's Greek Seasoning
1 TBL Black Pepper
6 Cups Flour
3 Cups Corn Meal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-uxONbpaQ

Well there you go folks, gimme something fried..........

Back