Friday Corned Ribs, Mustard Pickle Sausage & Thawing a 27lb Wagyu

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Crazy nice out so got some meat thawing for dinner. Pulled out some of the corned rib trimmings I save from events and also doing some of the sausage from recipes I made when the kid was first existing (so it's one of his sausage recipes). Mustard pickle is quite good :-D
4VvsrGcl.jpg

T5QVyAsl.jpg

Also his bday is coming up in a few weeks so starting the thaw on the 2nd 27lb Wagyu I bought last year from Mister Brisket. It still weighs about 9 more pounds than he does :becky:. Will be cooking that and a bunch of other stuff. Looks funny on the xl egg :clap2:
W1LC7gyl.jpg

giQzTupl.jpg

0T534jol.jpg

zeTCBWLl.jpg

Topping off the leftover lump with some Cowboy I got at Costco. Been happy with these large bags. Good price and pretty consistent sizes.

High around 68 and partly cloudy. Beer to commence in a bit. :becky:

**** the briskets still bigger than the child! :) Holy cow man First birthday coming up! Should be a blast!

Looks like you've got things planned out.. Looking good.. Been sitting here with rainy crap weather for a week.. I'm ready to go fishing!

**** the briskets still bigger than the child! :) Holy cow man First birthday coming up! Should be a blast!

Looks like you've got things planned out.. Looking good.. Been sitting here with rainy crap weather for a week.. I'm ready to go fishing!

Ya should be fun. I was going to save it for a competition, but they only turn one once and this will feed a lot of folks that are coming so it works.

It's been a weird spring here. Got crazy warm in Feb and everything bloomed and this month has been a mix of cold to hot and rain. Today is pretty perfect other than some wind. The rain has been nice though as it has knocked down the pollen.

I was eyeballing that charcoal at Costco yesterday....May have to pick up a bag. My complaint about Costco is they never carry stuff for long, and I'll get hooked on a product only for them to stop having it in store.

That's a big ol brisket :shock:

Next year there won't be a brisket bigger than the little man Jason, enjoy your cook.

Jason, what's the scoop on the mustard pickle sausages?

I make Sweet Mustard Pickles for a sandwich condiment, hence my asking.

I was eyeballing that charcoal at Costco yesterday....May have to pick up a bag. My complaint about Costco is they never carry stuff for long, and I'll get hooked on a product only for them to stop having it in store.

That's a big ol brisket :shock:

Ya the Cowboy they carry starting around now through maybe June/July. Can't remember exactly. But 34lb bags for $19.99 is a great consistent price around here so I buy them and watch for the Royal Oak deals too during the summer holidays.

Jason, what's the scoop on the mustard pickle sausages?

I make Sweet Mustard Pickles for a sandwich condiment, hence my asking.

Pretty simple as adding mustard and diced pickles to the meat I grind up. Here is the thread one of the times I've made it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253254

I'm still working on perfecting all the ratios for his recipe, but mustard and pickles (relish) goes great on sausages so I was just drinking and figured "hey let's shove that stuff in there with the meat" :crazy: :shocked:

They are really good.

Next year there won't be a brisket bigger than the little man Jason, enjoy your cook.

We'll let's not go saying crazy things yet :becky:. Though at 2yrs they are pushing 30lbs typically though he is on the small end of the scale. I'm always searching for the next large Brisket. 29 is the biggest i've been able to get my hands on :-D

Did you do a wet cure for the pastrami ribs?? Man, when I stepped up to the cabela's #12 carnivore grinder, I thought I was big time. #32 grinder, crazy. But I do have a buffalo chopper. lol

Did you do a wet cure for the pastrami ribs?? Man, when I stepped up to the cabela's #12 carnivore grinder, I thought I was big time. #32 grinder, crazy. But I do have a buffalo chopper. lol

Ya just a normal wet cure and I use the same one I'd use for brisket. These were really really good.

I got lucky when I found this #32. Found a guy selling it on craigslist brand spanking new for half off just to unload it. Even then it still cost like $350 but I knew i'd never see a deal like that again since that is just a little more than the cost of a brand new #12 LEM.

What's fun is the through is so big you really don't even need the plunger. It all just falls in :becky:

Helluva plate there Jason! Looks awesome...and pastrami ribs?!? Do tell!

Nothing crazy, I just put them in the same cure I use for beef and these sat in there for maybe 4 days or so. Then pastrami rub of any kind. I went heavy on the rub and thought might be a little too spicy for him, but he chowed down.

Here's the rest of the pic, maybe some duplicates. There truly are awesome. I've been corning random things for a "pastrami" version of pork, beef, lamb. It all works in the cure. I've even cured chunks of butt and then made corned sausage which is also amazing.

The ribs are great and a killer spin on the normal. I'm going to be adding these to the menu instead of regular ribs for his bday to give the guests something different. Especially since lots are bbq folks or ones that have had my normal ones that suck plenty of times :biggrin1:.

Z0gc9g7l.jpg

lU0nMUUl.jpg

ij8OeUXl.jpg

cAQXGdvl.jpg

7JqpXqDl.jpg

AxJWRNol.jpg

brJSehjl.jpg

DAvSzzcl.jpg

hMgOVepl.jpg

TMPJmYul.jpg

That looks like an awesome Friday with delicious, kid-approved, food to enjoy with family.

I need to try these pastrami ribs of which you speak.

Back