THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HPD510

Name or Nickame
Nick
Hey all, so I got me a few deer now and it’s about time for my annual day of making tons of different sausages. Also sitting in my freezer is a whole bunch of brisket trimmings that I have saved from trimming a case of brisket a couple months ago. I would love to turn these trimmings into sausage, but have never made beef sausage before.

I was wondering if there were any tips and tricks you guys had for making this such as just using only the trimmings or also adding some more beef to the grind to balance out the fat content in it? Also I am in some serious need of some recommendations as far as recipes or seasoning mixes to use for this. I don’t want to do something such as a brisket sausage the injustice of a poor seasoning that isn’t the right flavor profile and all. Thank you all in advance for inputs!

My brisket trimmings are usually mostly fat. I don't trim a lot of meat off my briskets as a backyard guy. I typically will use a chuck roast for extra beef. You could also use brisket in place of the chuck roast. You want about 25% fat maybe as much as 30%. I would do something like:

1.5% salt
1.5% black pepper
.25% Cure #1
.10% Cayenne
10% Water added when mixing

The percentages are of the combined weight of the meat and fat. I like the hard brisket fat. It holds up well when you cook it at slightly higher temps. Here's a link to a more detailed explanation of my approach on another forum. I like to add a few herbs to mine and also some pork.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?78162-Texas-Hot-Guts-Revisited

Back