THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learn something new everyday. I always thought thaw once and use. Seems you can indeed refreeze. Good to know.when plans get changed the day after you take the item out to thaw.

Learn something new everyday. I always thought thaw once and use. Seems you can indeed refreeze. Good to know.when plans get changed the day after you take the item out to thaw.

I don't know why you would think it would not be any good.

As long as its not spoiled when you refreeze it, freezing it isn't going to spoil it.

It will just loose some quality and texture but that's it.

Probably one of those things that gets passed down and you never really think about it. Honestly it is very rare for me to have a piece of meat thawing that would be a big loss to either cook or toss rather than refreeze. The only meat I tend to freeze are pork and chicken. When I buy steaks I tend to use them that day or the next.

>> but maybe not to use for a competition.

Maybe not. But maybe. No one knows! We cannot make a conclusion at this time.

At least we can (hopefully) lay to rest the myth that you can't refreeze meat.

The problem is, I don't know if I want to risk it at a competition, for taste and texture reasons only. And Really just for the $150+ brisket.

So it seems the consensus is safe to eat, but maybe not to use for a competition. Looks like that SRF brisket is getting cooked for a practice cook.

thanks for all the help!

Based on what I saw/sampled when I met y'all in Fernandina, if your gonna do a SRF brisket for a practice cook thin I think I need to run up to SC for a practice eat:becky:

From the links I've read, it looks OK. But I'm going to let a good steak get to room temp (72*F) as it thaws. The pours open and the seasonings penetrate better. Then High Heat. No problems after years of doing them this way and it's makes them taste as good as I can do a steak or burger.

Great thread and much info.

From the links I've read, it looks OK. But I'm going to let a good steak get to room temp (72*F) as it thaws. The pours open and the seasonings penetrate better. Then High Heat. No problems after years of doing them this way and it's makes them taste as good as I can do a steak or burger.

Great thread and much info.

ok but that not the same as refreezing meat in this context.

letting something get to room temp and then handling it and seasoning it then refreezing is a totally different animal

that is a avenue for bacteria.

What I am taking about is meat that is still in the original wrap that is thawed then refrozen. Or meat that is thawed partially, separated carefully with minimal handling (like defrosting a bag of frozen chicken breasts and separating and refreezing)

common sense rules here in food handling

The standards changed when refrigeration became consistent and not an ice box. The reason so many know the standard of thaw once and cook is because they learned from people from a different period in refrigeration. Food safety standards learned by the home cook take generations to adopt new standards. I would say half my life I knew one way and then learned the other. But my grandmother taught me to cook.

Back