Smoke then freeze?

Jwhitt

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
John W
Hello all,

Happy Independence Day!!!

Covid is ripping through my household at the moment so all smokes are off for the weekend but I am thinking ahead of a camping trip we are taking in about a week. I have a toy hauler trailer carrying 3 ATVs among all of our other tables, chairs, etc. I have no room to bring my Yoder 640 nor my weber gas grill so I ask all of you experts this:

Have you smoked various meats in advance of a trip and then freeze for later consumption? If so, please advise how you do it. If I smoke a butt, do I pull it when done and then wrap it up and freeze to be reheated when camping? Or keep the butt whole? Same with a brisket? My trailer has a microwave, small stove cook top and I am bringing my gas griddle. There are fire pits in the camp area as well.

Again, Happy 4th to y'all

Personally I would pull the butt before freezing, vac seal and simmer to reheat.
The brisket, I would vac seal point and flat separate then thaw and reheat in aluminum pan ( with some liquid) on a Weber jumbo Joe.

I do it all the time with brisket and pulled pork. I freeze brisket sliced and pork pulled and it comes out fine. Agree with the poster above that it would be better unsliced though. I do it this way as it’s easier to pull meal sized portions out.

A simple reheating trick. Boil a large pot of water (without the meat in it). When it boils, kill the heat, drop the vacuum sealed meat in for 15 minutes. It will be reheated. Double vacuum the seal though.

Back