Another BBQ Blunder

Juggy D Beerman

Full Fledged Farker
Yo to all, Along my 50+ year adventures of outdoor cooking, I have pulled many boneheaded stunts that are too numerous to list. I pulled my most recent blunder last night.

My routine of cooking thigh/leg quarters and a whole chicken is to bone the cooked meat and bag it into one pound batches and freeze for future use. I keep the skin, gristle and bones to make stock. I add scraps of onions, peppers and celery to the stock mix. I sometimes save these vegetable pieces and freeze them for making stock. Last night I grabbed what I thought was about a quarter pounds worth of frozen onion bits out of the freezer and threw them in stock pot while the onions were still in a frozen lump.

I should have examined the white blob a little closer. After 30 minutes of simmering, I noticed small white chunks floating on the surface of the water. I did not pay much attention to these chunks until after the simmering was done and I strained the stock. Upon examining the strained pieces, I made this discovery. These were not bits of onion, the were small chunks of Wagyu fat!

The stock doesn't taste quite like chicken, but it sure is an interesting taste.

Lager,
Juggy

I’m impressed, you found one I haven’t tried before! I’ve been pretty creative over the years. Closest I’ve come is mixing up salt/sugar and cayenne for paprika.

I need to do another taste test but it will have to wait until the stock has thawed out. Since I am too cheap to buy a fat separator, my method of removing the fat from the boiled stock is to freeze the solution in a large stainless steel mixing bowl. Once the stock is completely frozen I will scrape the fat from the frozen stock. After the de-fatted stock has thawed, I will again taste the chicken/beef stock and decide whether to make chicken soup or some type of beef soup. Decisions, decisions; this ought to be interesting..........

Sounds like you half way on your way to make Waygu lard. What is the issue OP? Keep simmering till its cooked down.

Hey Bob, I made Wagyu tallow a couple of months ago using the soft fat from a Wagyu brisket that I thought would not grind well when mixed with this years venison harvest. My rendering method was done on my WSM. I had the fat on a vegetable grate on the top shelf with an aluminum pan on an elevated shelf directly below the brisket fat. I cooked the three pounds of fat in two batches for about two hours at 250F. This rendered out to about three pints of tallow that weighed about 1.25 pounds. I have not yet used any of the tallow.

And Bob, I am guilty as charged. I am an old fool, but as my dear departed daddy used to say, "There is no fool like an old fool!"

Lager,

Juggy

Back