Free ( to me ) brand new BGE if I want one

I'm asking about the BGE. I know they are cool -- just more curious about those who have the, and experiences. ( I can cook badass on what I have, thus always thought the BGE was a waste of money ) --- but my dad thinks they are the "best appliance ever made ". So --- I am looking at one. Perhaps some of my grill cooks would be better--- I can't see using it in leu of my WSM.

We are answering you about the BGE.....I own 3, and they are awesome. They do everything, low & slow, hot & fast, baking, grilling, pizza (best you've ever had). Seriously, it's a no brainer, you're asking if you should accept a free BGE. You are either clueless, or just looking for attention...at this point, I have no idea.

We are answering you about the BGE.....I own 3, and they are awesome. They do everything, low & slow, hot & fast, baking, grilling, pizza (best you've ever had). Seriously, it's a no brainer, you're asking if you should accept a free BGE. You are either clueless, or just looking for attention...at this point, I have no idea.

Point well taken. --- I don't need attention -- just BGE input - I guess I will pursue it and unload some of my Webers to family.

Any mods u suggest or accessories?

Point well taken. --- I don't need attention -- just BGE input - I guess I will pursue it and unload some of my Webers to family.

Any mods u suggest or accessories?

Assuming it comes with the platesetter (indirect cooking), not much else you need. I'd get a cast iron grate, pizza stone and a cover...that's pretty much it.

I currently own a 10 year old lifetime warranty SS Jenn-air gasser ( for convenience or cleaning grill grates), 26.75 Weber kettle, two 18" WSM's, 22 WSM, 22.5 performer, 18 smoker Joe platinum. Idk what I would cook on the BGE. I use my 26.75 almost every weekend. I probably need to pass down a WSM and kettle or 2 anyway .. Is the BGE really all it's cracked up to be?

with that lineup you can already do 90+% of what the egg will do with the exception of nuclear baking for pizzas & such. That said I think the more useful addition to your existing arsenal would be a Blackstone Pizza Oven. Maybe suggest to dad he buy one of those for himself, then, when he's hooked he'll offer to buy you one :mrgreen:

I seem to have a bit of a different take on this topic than most of the people chiming in. It is incredibly generous of your dad to offer to buy you a BGE because of his love for his own, but I personally wouldn't want to exploit (or even feel like I'm exploiting) that generosity. Before making a decision, since it is a lot of money, why don't you cook on his BGE a few times, or do a few joint cooks with him, to see if you like the way it works and THEN make an informed decision about whether or not it is something you want and will use? The added benefit is that you get some good quality time spent with your dad out of it.

A ceramic (or metal) kamado of any brand does a great jobs at all kinds of cooking. They may not be the single best cooking instrument you can buy for each cooking method but they do a good to great jobs at all of them.

It's and Oven:

Red Beans & Rice

Osso Buco

BBQ Chicken Pizza

Cheesy Corn Bread

Biscuits

Bread

Thanksgiving Turkey

Apple Pie

Cream Cheese Pie w/ Raspberry Chipotle Topping

It's a Grill:

Yogurt Marinated Chicken Kebabs

Grilled Chicken

Hot Dogs

It Sears:

Tri-Tip

Porterhouse w/ Blue-cheese compound butter

T-Bone w/ Bourbon sauce

And it Smokes:

Ribs

Bacon

Pulled Pork

Pulled Beef

I'm with Imp81318. Just cause it's free doesn't mean you should take it if that is not what you want. Compare your dad's food to yours and see if you think you would like it. Then go from there.
I had an Acorn, they are nice, just not for me. I prefer the smokier profile that you do not get with a Kamado style cooker. They are very frugal with fuel, hence the less smoke.
My sister has a ceramic Kamado, had 4 UDS's built for her. She like me prefers a heavier smoke profile for most of her cooking. Just like Weber's, some folks like em, some, not so much.

Don't know what I could add to this after DerHusker's post but I love my Egg and get reminded how much I like to cook on it every time it's fired up.

We bought the WSGC so I can't speak about the BGE (although they cook the same) but I can tell you in the 6 or 8 weeks we've had it, we haven't turned the oven on in the house one time...

Just get it already!

I know you can make some really good Prime rib in a ceramic.....
I have two Primo grills with all the accessories and I love them. I also have cooked on a BGE and it cooks well also.
That being said a grill is simply a tool, although a BGE is a very high quality tool. The value of any tool is determined by the use you get out of it. If a person is going to use and appreciate a quality made grill the value is there. If it will get used rarely or not at all then it is just a yard ornament.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 125
I'm with Imp81318. Just cause it's free doesn't mean you should take it if that is not what you want. Compare your dad's food to yours and see if you think you would like it. Then go from there.
Good advise

I had an Acorn, they are nice, just not for me. I prefer the smokier profile that you do not get with a Kamado style cooker. They are very frugal with fuel, hence the less smoke.
Yes and there's nothing wrong with either one. It's a personal preference for everyone to choose what they like. (More smoke being a preference for some but not others)

There are certain cookers that will do a better job at certain types of cooking. (smoker for low-n-slow) but IMHO nothing does all the different types of cooking as well as a kamado. If you have the space and money to buy 3 or 4 different cookers then great, go for it, but if your tight on space and or money a kamado can do it all for you.

Plus they're stingy on fuel which to me is a big plus. I've ran mine for 14.5 hours on one load of lump and could've gone another 3 to 4 hours easy. As ebijack points out, this means that you get a lighter smoke profile but I didn't have to mess with my kamado for that entire time. My wife doesn't like a real heavy smoke profile so I'm good to go with just my one cooker.

OH CRAP DerHusker now I want one, honestly now do you really like it as much as we all think you do? :p

BBQButler on a more serious note if my dad were still alive (passed away 17 years ago) and he wanted to share a passion of cooking on a BGE I would not hesitate for one second, this is only because I see it from a perspective that I will never have any more opportunities with him. I don't see this as a need for another cooker but an opportunity to share good times with dad and make memories that will last a lifetime.
Just my two cents

I'm not so sure I am all in on the less smoke. You can run kamados to produce a heavier smoke but you have to be on a narrow gap of the white/blue line. What took adjusting to for me was how much more important the upper vent/damper is to controlling the heat and smoke in a kamado. I don't have a gravity smoker (yet) but that seems like it might be closest. The typical way to go low on a kamado is to leave only a small crack open on the upper vent but you can leave the upper vent open and allow more general air flow and heat escape.
It may not be a stick burner but I have been able to put just about as much smoke on a cook as I would ever want.

Your dad wants to be very generous and share something with you he is passionate about, and you're unsure? Crazy. I have 3 Egg's and gave away my gasser two months after buying the first one.

Don't bother with the platesetter from BGE, go to ceramicgrillstore.com and get the Woo/AR combo and the stone for doing indirect. This setup will give you much more flexibility than the platesetter.

My late wife bought me an XL egg many years ago. After I fell in love with how it cooked I got a large for both of my sons. The oldest son cooks some awesome food on it, the younger one decided he didn't want to use it and gave it to me.

I do like my BGE but truth be told I use my big Weber most of the time. Most likely because it's nearest the patio door. :)

Back