Franklin Bbq brisket take 2

Just a head up about the article posted with John Lewis (formerly of Franklin BBQ and LA BBQ). John started his own place in Charleston SC "Lewis Barbecue" . So if you're in the area, head over. He was also building pits to sell at one point but as far as I know his new place in Charlie South has at least three of his huge Franklin type smokers in his smoke room.

kap,

that bark is spot on! :thumb:

Thanks. I was really afraid of not getting good bark with my cabinet. I have had to adjust a little cooking with it, but I am really liking it. I even get a good smoke ring with mine, others have complained about not being able to get much of a smoke ring. Really loving my lsg vertical cabinet.

KK, that brisket looks fantastic. Utterly gorgeous.

One more comment on Aaron Franklin, as for olive oil seen on a video, rumors of pickle juice, etc. And I am paraphrasing here, but essentially, if he is cooking one brisket its different than cooking say, 100 briskets. Same for ribs, etc. When talking about trimming briskets, he simply does not have enough time to trim it like he may if he is only doing one. He admits to trimming a lot more off of a brisket than most people do, probably due to time constraints. Faster to make a few big cuts than a bunch of small ones.

Well I'll be doing my road trip vacation in Oct. to Austin TX area. Franklin, LaBarbecue, Louie Muller, Blacks, Snows, are ALL most my list to hit.

Anybody wanna add any other places I need to hit while out that way?

Well I'll be doing my road trip vacation in Oct. to Austin TX area. Franklin, LaBarbecue, Louie Muller, Blacks, Snows, are ALL most my list to hit.

Black's is the only place I liked at Lockhart. Smittys and Kreuz is low grade dog food in my opinion. I only ate at Franklin in Austin.

Your Brisket looks awfully delicious mate.
Nice slicing as well

Southside Market in Elgin claims to make the "Official"sausage of Texas.

Southside Market in Elgin claims to make the "Official"sausage of Texas.

I may have to try it but I'm going to Texas mainly to get really good brisket and ribs. Sausages good but it's not my absolute favorite compared to brisket. Thank you for the suggestion though.

I may have to try it but I'm going to Texas mainly to get really good brisket and ribs. Sausages good but it's not my absolute favorite compared to brisket. Thank you for the suggestion though.

The sausage at La Barbecue will change your mind.

I thought it was interesting how he was talking about even heat under and over the cooking grate. It seems like a reverse flow would do well with that. You have radiant heat under the meat and convective heat with smoke at grate level and above it.

good point and theory , probably why everyone loves those Shirley and lang pits

Just a head up about the article posted with John Lewis (formerly of Franklin BBQ and LA BBQ). John started his own place in Charleston SC "Lewis Barbecue" . So if you're in the area, head over. He was also building pits to sell at one point but as far as I know his new place in Charlie South has at least three of his huge Franklin type smokers in his smoke room.

SOB I just got back from Charleston sc

that gets a little twisted. he meant that it's easier to get a job done with the proper tools. most read that as you can't get the job done without an expensive cooker. guys on here make some awesome food on stuff the build for $50. if anyone has a chance you should stop by La Barbecue and talk to the guys working the cookers. they will help with any questions you have.

I get what you are saying but sometimes you just cant get the job done with out the proper tools, example if you are trying to drive a nail with a feather that's imposable I don't care if you are the best carpenter in the world , I know that's a little extreme of an example but you get what I am saying lol

Back