Franklin Bbq brisket take 2

When I went to his restaurant a few weeks back, I asked the pitmaster, and he said they are cooking at 275. I am cooking at 250 ish. I like to go a little slower. It seems like if I cook at 275 or higher, the brisket turns out a little chewy for my liking. We will see how this one turns out. Got it and the ribs wrapped up now. Forgot to get another picture. More to come.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD247K8KltY"]Aaron Franklin's Pits - YouTube[/ame]

listen real closely around 2:08 and see if you can make out what temp he said.

320... I have found great success cooking brisket a around 300-325. The window is smaller on gettin them off the pit but have found warming boxes and resting to be the key to a well rounded finished product.

I have settled on pretty much the same temp. Getting in a good rest seems to really finish it off nicely.

$5 a pound for choice FLATS ONLY at my sams. Michigan sucks for brisket. Cook looks great. interested to hear about your process and temps

Costco in Madison Heights carries prime packers
Restaurant Depot in Troy/Dearborn carries CAB packers
Walmart in Warren carries select/choice Excel packers
Most Gordon Good Service stores
Eastern Market
I could list 5 specialty markets but they are rather high priced

I have settled on pretty much the same temp. Getting in a good rest seems to really finish it off nicely.

This. I run 275 to 325 and normally stay on the lower end of that. But it finished great. A good rest is what seals the deal. And I don't know why but two briskest in one cooler does miracles. I've had two briskest resting in same cooler turn out better than one brisket in one cooler. Does that make any sense?

Brisket is done, feels awesome. Bad news though. I was told by the boss lady that I have to go to a little kids birthday party tonight. I will have to reheat it and eat it tomorrow. Dang it. I really wanted to try it tonight. Off to glaze the ribs.

Brisket is done, feels awesome. Bad news though. I was told by the boss lady that I have to go to a little kids birthday party tonight. I will have to reheat it and eat it tomorrow. Dang it. I really wanted to try it tonight. Off to glaze the ribs.

I'll swing by and give it a taste. :becky:

I have cooked about 4 briskets since reading Franklin's book. I am getting better everytime. It is something that takes some practice and experience.

Back