For the sausage makers

I have the Northern Tool 5-lb stuffer and am very happy with it. It is easy to fill and if the nylon gears are an issue, the LEM gears fit as a replacement. I also bought the 20lb Northern Tool mixer and it makes things much easier. Good luck.

Just a thought here, if you have trouble finding one that meets all the criteria and doesn't break the bank, I personally would put the steel gears on the less important list, you really shouldn't be exerting much pressure on the gears (probably doing it wrong if you are) and the gears are typically inexpensive and replaceable, If you're concerned about them breaking or wearing out (honestly, how long will that take??) Then just buy a spare set and stash them for when you need them.

The only reason I raise this point is because it seems like loads of entry level stuffers fit the other criteria, but have plastic gears...

And the only reason I hate plastic tubes is that most of them are tapered, if you were to end up with straight/non-tapered tubes you'd probably be fine.

But I could be missing something here, hopefully someone else will correct me if I've overlooked a critical area of concern.

One last thing I forgot to mention is that having 2 speeds on the stuffer is really nice if you plan on doing a lot of sausage, if you're only making smaller batches and only occasionally, then a single speed will work fine

Just a thought here, if you have trouble finding one that meets all the criteria and doesn't break the bank, I personally would put the steel gears on the less important list, you really shouldn't be exerting much pressure on the gears (probably doing it wrong if you are) and the gears are typically inexpensive and replaceable, If you're concerned about them breaking or wearing out (honestly, how long will that take??) Then just buy a spare set and stash them for when you need them.

The only reason I raise this point is because it seems like loads of entry level stuffers fit the other criteria, but have plastic gears...

And the only reason I hate plastic tubes is that most of them are tapered, if you were to end up with straight/non-tapered tubes you'd probably be fine.

But I could be missing something here, hopefully someone else will correct me if I've overlooked a critical area of concern.

One last thing I forgot to mention is that having 2 speeds on the stuffer is really nice if you plan on doing a lot of sausage, if you're only making smaller batches and only occasionally, then a single speed will work fine

I agree on the gears. Mine are plastic, my stuffer has to be 10 years old, never a problem with them

Here is the one I purchased:
yhst-18461728116681_2273_138716315
A Weston 11 pound, tilt canister, steel gears, dual speed. The only thing missing is the convertible top and MP3 player. I appreciate all the inputs. I may not be a serious, make sauge every week end, but when I do, I want things to go as smooth as possible.

That will be a fine stuffer. I will suggest that you should always add cold water to your ground sausage mix. It makes a huge difference on how much pressure it takes to push the meat through the stuffer.

That will be a fine stuffer. I will suggest that you should always add cold water to your ground sausage mix. It makes a huge difference on how much pressure it takes to push the meat through the stuffer.

Now we're getting into a whole 'notha thread! :heh:

I want a different direction. I purchased a water stuffer and I have yet to use mine BUT I have used one that was sort of similar and I can tell you that turning the water spigot handle is much easier that turning the GIANT stuffer handle.

http://www.dakotahsausagestuffer.com/aboutus.asp

They were great to deal with and I purchased the books too.
Was the best thing I have bought. Mine holds 9# I think.

Good Luck

Mike
Mo_Smoker

I used the KitchenAid attachment first. It worked but it sucked.

I bought a 5 lb'er from Grizzly and am happy with it. It has plastic gears but I can't imagine breaking them unless you are a knucklehead who keeps turning the crank after it bottoms out.

Back