THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bigr314

Babbling Farker
Hi guys, I am wanting to start making beef jerky. Any help on buying a food dehydrator would help me out a great deal. I have never owned one. Thanks.

I have a cheapy nesco dehydrator. It makes great jerky but can only do about 2 lbs of raw meat at a time on the 4 trays it comes with.

I have a cheapy nesco dehydrator. It makes great jerky but can only do about 2 lbs of raw meat at a time on the 4 trays it comes with.
I have one of the larger Nesco dehydrators, Model FD1010 Gardenmaster. I was fairly economical (around $100) and does a great job on jerky, peppers, herbs & spices, etc.

The main thing you want is variable temperature controls.

Been going strong or about 4 years now.

Not an Excaliber, but a good unit.

VR,
Harold

Expandable up to 12 trays with a temp adjustment up to 160 for jerky. Great product, works great. I would buy another. I currently use mine with 11 trays.

Make sure to try some watermelon jerky. Kids love it. Slice your watermelon into about 1 1/2" thick slices. Cut off the rind. Then cut into about 3/8" thick slices, put just a little bit of kosher salt on them and dehydrate. Probably about 12 hours at 135-140.

I've used a dehydrator for years. But only for fruit and tomatoes. For jerky I use the kitchen oven. The racks are perfect for hanging the jerky. A piece of foil over the heat coils makes clean up simple. Perfect temp control and leave the door open a little like in broiling.

Back