THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pmad

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
I am looking for a decent dehydrator. I know there's high end ones, but I don't need that.

I use one maybe once or twice a year for jerky and fruit.
I'd like to stay under $100.

Thanks.

Make Alton Brown proud and invest in a multi-tasker like
a small convection oven that does more than just dehydrate.
There are plenty out there for not much more than you want
to spend.

I have an Excalibur and it’s so far above and better than t he cheaper ones I’ve had and used in the past, I wouldn’t bother with anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've had two Nesco Snackmaster dehydrators for over 10 years.

I only use them for jerky a couple times a year, but after over 10 years, they still run like new.

I bought some extra trays for when I go overboard on meat weight. :tongue:

You can run like 8 trays each with only rotating them once during the cook which is usually about 4 hours at 165 degrees depending on how thick you slice your beef.

$69 at Amazon, I paid $50 each back in the day:

https://www.amazon.com/Nesco-Snackmaster-Encore-Dehydrator-Count/dp/B01991MHME/ref=asc_df_B01991MHME/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198079985682&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16510216140172077180&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012143&hvtargid=pla-350397555240&th=1

Make Alton Brown proud and invest in a multi-tasker like
a small convection oven that does more than just dehydrate.
There are plenty out there for not much more than you want
to spend.

Make Alton even more proud. Get a 20" box fan and some furnace filters to make the jerky.

That said, I have an Excalibur, but that's more than you want to spend.

My advice is no matter what you want to pay, make sure its got square trays. I replaced one of those round dehydrators with a square dehydrator with i think 10 trays and i can put so much more jerky in each tray.

Mine is round and plastic. Wish I had one with metal trays so I could start jerky in smoker and finish in dehydrator.

Mine is round and plastic. Wish I had one with metal trays so I could start jerky in smoker and finish in dehydrator.

Thats a good point. Mine has plastic trays but i use the skewer hang method in my vertical smoker so i would have to transfer to a tray or rack anyway. But yeah that would make things simpler.

What i like about the hang method is i can fit 7 pounds of 1/8- 3/16 thick jerky in. And that pound and thickness just barely fits in my dehydrator after an hour or two of smoke in my smoker.

I'd buy as cheap as one as you can. I mean, it's just a little fan with a heating element. Make sure it goes up high enough for jerky; some of them don't go up to 165 or whatever. Sometimes Bass Pro or Cabelas or Fleet Farm will have them cheap.

I have had a Nesco/American Harvest brand for a decade now. And only used it 15 times in that time, probably. Still seems like new. Same with my parents, thought for much longer.

I just cant justify the Excalibur when I only use it a couple times a year.

Anyone know anything about the Cosori

I don't own a Cosori Dehydrator however if it's anything like the Cosori Air Fryer I do own it should be a winner. For the extra 50 bucks above your budget it looks like you get a lot more. I've had a plastic round unit (no name something cheap) in the past and hated rotating trays.

Back