THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tebluth

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Todd
Hi everyone!

I’m building my first smoker-a conventional UDS. I’ve read several threads about cleaning/prepping the barrel. So I got a reconditioned barrel that apparently held food (had a food company logo painted on the side). It didn’t have the plastic liner inside like some I’ve read about. But it wasn’t bare metal either.

I gave it a good burn-out and that got most of the paint off. Now I’m wondering about the inside. It feels like bare metal but parts of it have a reddish hue. Tried using a metal brush attachment to clean things up with moderate success. I’ll attach photos.

So the million-dollar question is-is this sufficient to finish my build or should I spring to get the thing sandblasted? I guess I worry about effect on taste. I don’t think there’s any risk of contamination at this point. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Attachments

Looks like red liner. It’s not a plastic liner but like a Heavy Paint. If you did a Good burnout, I’d scrub it with soap n water n rinse and spray with oil, light a fire n season it.

Update: found a buddy with a sandblaster. Bought 100 lb bag of Quikrete commercial grade medium sand at Home Despot. 30 min later I had this (pics below). Then applied a spray coating that I had for my cast iron grill to the inside and ran a burn to season. I think this is gonna turn out well.

Attachments

Thanks! I was very happy with the finish. Lowe’s carries a line of Krylon high-heat spray paint that was dead simple to apply and cost about $7/can. Two cans gave me about 4 coats and I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

Next up I’m going to try to program an Arduino to make an automatic temp controller.
https://www.hackster.io/dbarbee/temperature-controled-charcoal-smoker-58db49

No, there is a third intake nipple in the back that doesn’t have a riser to it. I just capped it off with an iron plug. From what I’ve read, once I get my coals up to temp, I can cap the third intake and then maintain airflow with the other two. Thoughts?

I’m going to play around with it next week. I’ll post my results

Back