THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQFiend

Got Wood.
I tried my first attempt at smoking tonight. I got a chance to try out the slow n' sear. I started the pork shoulder after work and it took a lot longer than I thought. I think underestimated the amount of meat that was there. I figured this thing would cook in under 5hrs but it took over six to get the internal temp to 185. I couldn't wait any longer and pulled it wrapped it in foil and I'm letting it rest or 30-40min.

Last edited:
What temp were you cooking at, and how were you measuring it?

A butt at 185 internal will likely not be pullable but it should be good sliced.

I found it hard to control the range. I couldn't keep a constant temp. It would stay at 270 then I'd drop it down and it would go down to about 240 then slowly creep back up. It kept bouncing back and forth from 240-270. I got it to hang at 250 and 265 for about 30min.

Did you use briquettes or lump. What method did you use for burning the coals? Minion method, fuse method, ect?

I used Kingsford blue bag briquettes. Started everything as recommended 8-10 lit coals on the corner then fill the rest of the slow n' sear. Added some hickory wood chunks and filled the water reservoir.

I will admit I didn't fill as much charcoal as the slow n' sear would hold. I did that because I didn't think I was going to be cooking for over 4hrs.

I've never used a slow n sear but I use fire bricks which creates a similar setup and I don't use water....were you leaving the intakes alone when the temp moved or were you trying to open and close as it went up and down?
Is your kettle new or have you cooked on it before?

If you are going to use a weber kettles the best technique to use for long cooks is the Snake method/Ring of fire. You can get extended burn times (6+ hours) and can run hot and fast or low and slow. It also requires very little attention other than moving the lid 1/4 turn every couple of hours.

I have never heard of the slow n sear, had to search it out. It's a pretty cool little mod. I like how they got the water pan incorporated with it. I use fire bricks for pretty much the same concept. One thing I seen on there website is on the smoking side the coal grate is left open. I read on here, I think bludawg, cover the other side with aluminum foil. This forces all the air under your coals for a better consistent burn. I was able to maintain 325 for a constant 6hrs or so with this setup. I just over lap a couple of fire bricks and pile on side with lump, leaving a open hole on one side. Get a half chimney of lump fired up and pour it in the hole.

The snake or fuse method is the only way for L&S in the kettle.
It gives you the max indirect cooking area you could have.
It gives you a super steady cooking T too.
Better than the snake there is only the modified VORTEX I used a lot befor WSM.
It shade the meat from heat much better.

Check here what I mean:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2F84Bm

I'd be very happy if I could keep my kettle from 240-275. I usually am happy when it ranges anywhere in the 225-300 range. I always do a 2x2x1 snake and start with 14 lit briqs. Only thing that stinks about snake is it takes about an hour to get up to 225. Watch YouTube that's how I learned to build a snake. I have heard a lot of good things though about that slow n sear.

Unless I missed it, no one asked how big the pork was?

Taste was good, texture was in between pullable and having to slice it. It didn't discourage me from trying it again. I tried posting a pic in my first post but no matter what I tried it wouldn't show.

I've never used a slow n sear but I use fire bricks which creates a similar setup and I don't use water....were you leaving the intakes alone when the temp moved or were you trying to open and close as it went up and down?
Is your kettle new or have you cooked on it before?

The kettle is new. I had to play with the vents A LOT. I'd say I had to go and make an adjustment every 30min or so. Tracked quite a bit of moss into the house. :razz:

I would mainly watch the temp using a maverik E72. Once the temp dropped to near 240 I'd go out and increase the bottom vent and open the top vents, once the temp started going in the other direction I'd almost close the top vent and let it creep up. I noticed if I let the top vent open too long and the temp started creeping fast no matter what I did would really slow it down outside of almost closing both vents. Then when the temp climbed up near 260 I would start closing the bottom vent and top vent to until the temp stopped climbing. Then as it dropped I'd open the top vent some then adjust the bottom one. It was a pain but not so bad I was getting frustrated. Only bad part was that I was cooking a lot later at night than I expected and the outside temp dropped probably 15-20degrees from when I started. It had to be close to 45 or colder outside when I was done with the cook.

Your adjusting your vents to much and both at the same time. Your just learning so just adjust one thing at a time and watch what it does. You should leave your top vent open all the time. Use your bottom vent to adjust temp. If you can't get your temp down far enough you started with too many lit coals. You should never completely close your bottome vent. When you seen you temp dipping you should've opened your top vent to pull in more air from the bottom vent. If your top vent was fully open, you can open bottom vent a tad more.

I used a kettle as my main cooker for a long time, I used fire bricks that seem a similar method to that slow n sear thing. Only thing i like about the bricks is I could pile coals right up to the grate, I'm not sure the slow and sear can pile that high. Once you get used to it you can get good BBQ temp burn times of 4-6+ hours depending on outside temps. Don't get too hung up on holding one particular temp the whole time. If it fluctuates between 250-300 that's fine, a little lower and a little higher is no biggie either, let it ride. Worked out great for me, and it will for you too.

Here's my low and slow setup, light 4 or 5 coals on one side with a heat gun and it is good for 6 hours

14%2B-%2B1%2B%252816%2529.jpg

I cooked on my kettle last weekend using a method similar to your Slow N Sear & kept her riding about 275 for a full 5 hours, and had enough fuel to go for another 3 at least. (Mix of Royal Oak and hickory chunks)

Try keeping your top vent completely open, opposite the fire. I generally only adjust the bottom vent, with it being only about 1/8 - 1/4 open once the grill gets up to smoking temps. Once that fire is burning clean and your temps are within range, you shouldn't need to mess with it much.

Check over at the Weber Kettle Club and see how the kids over there are using your device too. It seems to be a popular item. I believe the developer of the SnS is a member there, he seems to be happy to offer help and suggestions to anyone who asks.

Good luck.

I cooked on my kettle last weekend using a method similar to your Slow N Sear & kept her riding about 275 for a full 5 hours, and had enough fuel to go for another 3 at least. (Mix of Royal Oak and hickory chunks)

Try keeping your top vent completely open, opposite the fire. I generally only adjust the bottom vent, with it being only about 1/8 - 1/4 open once the grill gets up to smoking temps. Once that fire is burning clean and your temps are within range, you shouldn't need to mess with it much.

Check over at the Weber Kettle Club and see how the kids over there are using your device too. It seems to be a popular item. I believe the developer of the SnS is a member there, he seems to be happy to offer help and suggestions to anyone who asks.

Good luck.
Top vent opposite the fire makes a big difference

I'm a big fan of the Vortex...In the inverted position (wide side up) and a snake of lump on each side...Light opposite ends of the snakes and adjust vents to run the temp you want...Runs for hours with very little attention...

Back