First Offset Smoker/Upgrade Question

Aisthetikos

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Ais
Hello All! I have been making some Q on my pellet smoker for about 2 years now, and have been itching to get an offset smoker for about half of that :decision:

This past weekend, I found what looked like a great deal on reverse flow offset smoker for $400! In all my excitement and the work it took to find a way to get it home, I ended up buying it even though the cook chamber, firebox, and RF plate are all 1/8" steel.

I am now considering purchasing a piece of 3/8" steel, that should be enough material to make a new FB for only $75!

Question is, for the cost of the steel and $55/hr labor to make the box, would the upgrade be "worth it"? And would it be worth it to fund upgrading the RF plate to 1/4"?

Guessing it may put me around $900-$1100 invested after upgrades.

P.S. With the scrap steel it will cut it close on dimensions, and will lose some cubic inches on the fire box.

20"x62" cook chamber(math says my fire box should be at least 6,235 cubic inches)

Fire Box right now is 20"x20"x17.375"(6,850 cubic inches/6,450 if I add fire bricks)

New fire box may need to be 18.75"x18.75"x17"(5976 cubic inches)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

T54cL4c.jpg

Last edited:
No, no, and no.

I wouldn't do a thing to it. Maybe put thin 1 1/4" fire brick in the bottom of the fire box. It looks great, especially for $400.

1/8" will still hold temp fairly evenly unless you're cooking below 30 degrees out there in Az.

Fire that thing up. Cook on it. Learn it's characteristics. I bet you'll be happy.

If I could put out some good Q learning on a Ok. Joe Highland, you should kill it with that smoker in your pic.

Don't worry about all that math/tables/perfect size talk. It won't make that much difference in the food you put out.

Find a good wood source, go to the store and buy some meat, and start cooking.

Last edited:
Agreed. Dont change anything. Cook on it few years and if you want to upgrade buy whole new pit. Make sure you vacuum ash out after every cook eliminate rust. You can always throw a weld blanket around FB to act as faux insulation if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with what everyone else said. Also, for context, an Old Country Brazos with 1/4" steel costs $1200 + shipping. I don't think it's worth spending nearly that much to upgrade a couple components of a different smoker. Get some practice with the smoker you have and upgrade when you're ready to do a new smoker. It might take a little more finicking to keep consistent temps, but the food is going to taste just as good with 1/8" steel.

If it's the cooker in the pic. Season that baby up and start cookin. Don't change anything till you learn how it wants run.
Just noticed you're in Az. You might want to get a shed to shade it on cooks below 300. LoL

If it's the cooker in the pic. Season that baby up and start cookin. Don't change anything till you learn how it wants run.
Just noticed you're in Az. You might want to get a shed to shade it on cooks below 300. LoL

You're telling me! It sits at 150 ambient temp just being in the sun!

I did get some oil on it day one and ran it at about 400 for an hour, then was able to keep it at 230-250 grate level for a couple hours... that was in the monsoon with rain though lol...

Doing my first cook this weekend. wish me luck!

That is a fantastic deal. Agree with comment above to line firebox with 1.25" thick firebricks, which are cheap and very efficient. I like Rutland brand.

Back