First Full Packer Brisket

This Aaron Franklin dude is popular.....so I guess I better look him up and see what all the fuss is about. He looks familar from the video, as in I think I've seen him on TV somewhere.

Sounded like 320 to me.

Well, finally carved this bad boy up. Let it sit in the cooler a couple of hours. Pulled it out and it was still really hot and when I seperated the flat and point, it was really juicy.

This is definitely the best brisket I've made, but it's far from perfect. The charcoal debacle didn't help.

I would prefer a much better bark. Definitely would like it darker. Probably could have used a little more salt, or just more rub in general. Also, even though there was a good smoke ring, there wasn't much smoke flavor. Both of these could have been improved by leaving it on the smoker longer, before wrapping. I also had the brisket meat (flat) side down in the braising pan, so maybe some of the smoke flavor was leeched out into the liquid?

I also think the brisket was slightly overdone. It was a little more crumbly than I'd like. It wanted to fall apart a bit during slicing. I had to slice it very carefully and a little thick. I think I overcooked it slightly and/or maybe let it sit in the cooler too long.

Oh well, still a good piece of meat for home consumption. Haven't tried the point yet. Here's some pics.

meat7_zps292eceb6.jpg

meat8_zps1ada80d5.jpg

meat9_zpsebc8137d.jpg

meat91_zpse2d54f6b.jpg

meat92_zpsebc88703.jpg

meat93_zpsb1eb65dd.jpg

I also think the brisket was slightly overdone. It was a little more crumbly than I'd like. It wanted to fall apart a bit during slicing. I had to slice it very carefully and a little thick. I think I overcooked it slightly and/or maybe let it sit in the cooler too long.

I don't think it is overdone, I think it was just a well marbled brisket, that turned out just great looking, and would be welcome on anyone's table that likes good brisket.

I have finished several briskets in the oven, due to one problem or another with the pits I have had in the past, before I made my UDS. By the time I put them into the oven, they had absorbed as much smoke as they were going to. If yours was not as "smokey" tasting as you like, then use a better grade of charcoal next time, and throw in a few chunks of your favorite wood. I like to supplement mine with chunks of cherry wood. Leaves a distinct sweet ( not sugar sweet ) flavor in the meat. Good job, and congratulations on your cook.

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

meat7_zps292eceb6.jpg

meat8_zps1ada80d5.jpg

meat9_zpsebc8137d.jpg

meat91_zpse2d54f6b.jpg

meat92_zpsebc88703.jpg

meat93_zpsb1eb65dd.jpg

Thanks Omar. To be honest, as far as I know, I've never in my life had perfectly cooked brisket, so I really don't have anything to compare it to, but it seemed a little dry and crumbly to me.

I did burn probably 6-8 large chunks of hickory on top of the charcoal during the smoking portion. Maybe the braising leeched out some of that smoke flavor?

I agree, I think that is a great cook, especially given it is your first packer cook, it had the charcoal problem and you over-slept. You really can't leave it in the cooler too long, but, you could have done a little less time in the oven. Quibbles man, quibbles.

Although I use briquettes, I mainly use Royal Oak or Lazzari, sometimes Kingsford. I have never had what you describe. But, I have seen charcoal that looks lit end up being burned out, that kinda sucks. Still, a good hunk of meat.

In terms of temperature, I am also part of the converts to hotter temperatures, between 280°F and 300°F for me, in a UDS. (incidentally, 225°F=107°C, 325°F=162°C). I learned to cook hot 35 years ago, then forgot, and switched to the magic 225°F number and struggled with consistency, then came here 5 years ago, read Pitmaster T and Saiko and changed back to how I learned. So much more consistent.

Congrats on your first packer. Just a tad overcooked from the pics, but that's better than undercooked in my opinion. The way I look at it, cooking your first packer is like picking up a gun for the first time and shooting at a target 100 yds away. It's actually unreasonable to expect a bulls eye in that situation. You basically just hit the 10 ring which is awfully danged close :clap2::clap2:

standing1.jpg

I've been watching this cook progress there are lots of ways to get there, but the lessons I have learned on how to get success I pass on. This cook is not a complete failure the end result is a little overcooked. IMHO there are changes that will help you to improve on the next go round.
1) cook hotter
2) stay awake
3) don't use foil to braise if you want bark
4) run a dry pan
5) consider using Butcher or Brown paper sacks that you cut open'
6) don't inject or marinate let the meat be all it can be.
7) review the BluDawg Brisket and follow the instructions once you have it mastered to know what good brisket is then you will be on your way.

I've been watching this cook progress there are lots of ways to get there, but the lessons I have learned on how to get success I pass on. This cook is not a complete failure the end result is a little overcooked. IMHO there are changes that will help you to improve on the next go round.
1) cook hotter
2) stay awake
3) don't use foil to braise if you want bark
4) run a dry pan
5) consider using Butcher or Brown paper sacks that you cut open'
6) don't inject or marinate let the meat be all it can be.
7) review the BluDawg Brisket and follow the instructions once you have it mastered to know what good brisket is then you will be on your way.

Do you have a link to the BluDawg method??

I apologize to my Texes Brethren in advance for the beans, but I took some of my leftover brisket and made a pantry raid version of chili. Turned out great. Main ingredients are onions, brisket, ranch style beans, rotel, chicken broth and various spices.

chili_zps7cf5362c.jpg

Back