First cook on Limo Jr in progress

smokeisgood

is one Smokin' Farker
So I started with something easy, trying to get a feel for the new smoker, and not changing too much from normal cooks. Started the pit this morning, with Kingsford BB (just to get rid of it, I found some B&B). Injected a pork butt with Honeycrisp apple juice and covered it in Lane's BBQ "Spellbound." First time using this on a butt, but it's awesome on pork chops. Hickory and Cherry wood chunks.

w03kEfRh.jpg

02kDY67h.jpg

Using a Cyber Q to run the pit, with a Maverick XR50 remote thermometer. These to, plus the pit thermometer, are all way off. The Maverick was dead on the thermometer of my Pitmaker. Something's got to be fixed here, the probes are only a few inches apart and showing 20 degree differences.....

HoFBWsHh.jpg

T87w37Bh.jpg

And my OCD is not going to allow this. I'll have to figure something else out... I see a Fireboard 2 drive in my future...

C7Hmdymh.jpg

Ribs went on about an hour ago, with nothing but Yardbird on them (it's heavier than it looks in the photo)....

lOKHvhkh.jpg

Show us that temp graph when its all said & done. I assume cyber Q has one you can show us. Regardless looking good. Cant wait to see update pics!

Curious on why your two pit probes are that much different.

The Tel Tru on mine is right on the money in my Limo of it is empty. If I have a big hunk of cold meat on the shelf directly below the Tel Tru, (especially if it’s a full size pan) it will read lower. I think the pan blocks the air flow where the Tel Tru probe is sitting and it registers some of the cold meat below, as the meat warms up, see if the temp evens out a bit on the Tel Tru.

Well, mixed results on the cook. The ribs were spot on, juicy, tender, good flavor.....
xYSPYNhh.jpg

y3WEa3Gh.jpg

The pork butt was awful, worst I've ever cooked. Zero flavor, tough, it went straight in the trash. I've never screwed up a butt before. Not sure what happened here, the bone pulled easily. I changed 3 things from how I usually do them... different juice injection, different rub and different cooker. Since the ribs were good, I have to think it was the juice and rub. I really thought the "Spellbound" would have a good flavor since it is good on chops. Nothing. We did have unexpected guests show up.... I think I may have pulled it out too quickly, but that doesn't really explain the lack of flavor.

PEUp4kqh.jpg

I can't stand with this one, headed to the store in the morning to pick up another butt and try again..... this time I'll use my regular juice and rub, which is Yardbird.

Back