Pork belly burnt ends... maiden voyage

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Scott/Mongo
After seeing many of you fellow brethren raving about pork belly burnt ends over the years, I decided to give them a go yesterday. I used this link as my basic roadmap:

https://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/

Started with belly a little over 7 lbs.

zn0eKUT.jpg

Cubed into 1-1/2"ish chunks.

tdHATrk.jpg

Seasoned with Sir Porkalot's Rib Rub.

Di3D7PZ.jpg

Not quite enough room on one rack.

qoZgnRT.jpg

The oval ready for duty cruising at 275.

nnFO9E3.jpg

And on they go.

3xRufxN.jpg

Getting some good color and bark.

WrAvxXU.jpg

After about 2.5 hours of smoke time and off they come.

sQHufeS.jpg

Panned with brown sugar, a good drizzle of maple syrup and lots of butter pats.

Mg7KL5a.jpg

After about a 90 minute bath in the "healthy" braising hot tub, they were pulled, drained and glazed with a honey chipotle sauce. Back into the oval for twenty minutes to set the glaze and viola!

dfb54D9.jpg

I polished off the sample plate and saved the rest to serve as a side to go with dinner. They did not suck!

claDwLw.jpg

To make a long story short, I can definitely see what all the fuss is about and will be adding them to the BBQ rotation on a regular basis!

Thanks for looking. :biggrin1:

If you hadn't mentioned this was your first time, it sure could have passed for a top notch tutorial, which it is! Superb work, Mongo!

Mongo.

What you've done there is more or less a BBQ version of a traditional Cantonese dish in which the belly is cut like that. It has skin on however and it is steamed in a broth for maybe 12 hours until the skin is completely gelatinous. The broth is reduced to a thick sauce and then served with the little pork bites and it just melts in your mouth.

It's divine... much like yours.

Cheers!

Bill

Thanks to all for the positive comments (and laugh, Gore). While I was pleased with the results, I'll make a tweak or two on the next batch to soften up the bark a wee bit.

My curiosity is also piqued by Bill's comment regarding the Cantonese dish, which sounds delicious as well. The search for pork belly with skin on begins now... :nod:

Back