THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

austintx

Found some matches.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283023

Here’s my entry for the TD.
Since I planned to make pizza this week I snapped some pics for the entry - I think my photography skills need work...
There is a wood fired pizza place nearby... here’s their offering
wUQuBaY.jpg

For my re-creation, I will use a wood fired oven...
JtwLFkk.jpg

It takes about 2 hours to get up to temp, so I get the fire started. This is after an hour or so - you can see the oven is still heating up as the entire dome is not white - when ready the inside is clear of black residue.
ZI7Ltrk.jpg

I will cook some sausage while it heats up.....
RFX7CHz.jpg

Assemble the pizza - meatball, sausage, pepperoni, onions, and black olives!

LYxMhtf.jpg

Into the oven she goes!
usnwdR6.jpg

Finished pie...
X1XzmUt.jpg

Enjoy!

I am going to second that opinion of the pizza oven, it is too notch. And your pizza is far and away much more appealing than theirs. Nice job!

Thanks for the compliments on the oven!
One of the nice things about it is the residual heat - it’s sitting around 365 after being shut down for 14+ hours. Could bake bread or cook a frittata this morning.
A3lhOwF.jpg

Theoretically, a traditional 18” New York pizza would fit. The opening is 19”. It’s something I would like to try. Most of my pizzas are between 12 and 14” which easily fit on my peels. I’ve wondered if I could build and cook an 18” pizza on a pizza pan, or par cook the crust on the pan rather than try and launch into the oven from a peel. Thoughts?

Theoretically, a traditional 18” New York pizza would fit. The opening is 19”. It’s something I would like to try. Most of my pizzas are between 12 and 14” which easily fit on my peels. I’ve wondered if I could build and cook an 18” pizza on a pizza pan, or par cook the crust on the pan rather than try and launch into the oven from a peel. Thoughts?

Good question. If the opening is 19", you should be able to get an 18 inch pie in the oven.

I use a Blackstone Pizza oven to cook my pies. The stone is 16", so a 15.5" pie is about the limit for me:

Three%20Meat%20Spicy%20Pizza%2016_zpsisy7hubp.jpg

I use a Super Peel, which has been the best peel solution I've found. I did a review of it here:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234522

I think you are really asking what's the best way to launch a larger pie into your oven, correct? And when you say "pan", do you mean a pizza screen?

I don't like pizza screens at all for cooking, because the texture of the bottom of the pie changes when you use one. I want the entire surface area of the bottom of the crust to be in full contact with the oven floor when it cooks. When you use a screen to cook a pizza, that doesn't happen and you get a Franken-crust that is not nearly as good.

Pizza screens were developed to help make pizzas easier to get into ovens for mass market pizza chains and such. And they do a good job of it, but like I said, the crust won't be the same.

Screens do make a great cooling surface for a just cooked pie that will keep the bottom crust nice and crisp for a few minutes before slicing, and I use them for that purpose.

If I had an oven like yours, I'd start "inching my way up", so to speak working on larger pies gradually. You may need a larger peel to accommodate larger pies.

Finally, you can make the pies slide off the peel more easily by using Semolina flour. It acts as a great "lubricant" in helping ease the pizza off the peel. Semolina flour won't change the texture of the crust like cornmeal does.

Hope this helps!

Back