Drying Chamber Project 001: Spanish Lomo

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
After some trial and error in my drying chamber, reference here, I decided to try Calabrian Pork Tenderloin...Well, as it turns out, the meat was bad, so another audible was made to try Spanish Lomo. I had all the ingredients at home and it was doable. Sorry no pics of the curing, but it was essentially salt, pepper, garlic, onion, smoked paprika, regular paprika, and some bay leaves (cure #2 as well). Vac sealed and in my regular fridge for about 5 days. The calculator I used say 3.8 but gave it a bit more time.

Next was a rinse and brush of white whine while I wrapped in the collogen paper, and then the awful netting job :wacko:

tied em, weighed em, tagged them, hung em.

Problem #1 - The loin was too long to fit in my chamber! So I halved it.
Problem #1 - the netting may have been a bit tight. Got it on anyway.

I coming in to this with low expectations, so if anything edible comes out of this, I will be happy. First pic is right after I hung them...the second is my chamber avg temp and humidity. I feel it's dialed in now so we'll see. Thanks for looking!

52822969599_b65d676925_b.jpg

52823206980_7afb680e30_b.jpg

How are you liking that SensorPush? Agree, looks like you have it dialed in! You might be able to help your "height situation" by "permanently modifying" the fridge to somehow affix hooks to the top of the chamber or the sides near the top, giving you more flexibility on where you hang your meat from. I was averse to permanently modifying a fridge/freezer for that purpose, so I get it. Or maybe put the de/humidifiers on the back half of the fridge and hang your longer meat towards the front?

How are you liking that SensorPush? Agree, looks like you have it dialed in! You might be able to help your "height situation" by "permanently modifying" the fridge to somehow affix hooks to the top of the chamber or the sides near the top, giving you more flexibility on where you hang your meat from. I was averse to permanently modifying a fridge/freezer for that purpose, so I get it. Or maybe put the de/humidifiers on the back half of the fridge and hang your longer meat towards the front?

Sorry Suds, haven't had a chance to respond (busy couple work days)

I LOVE the sensor. Give me much better data output. I am also able to calibrate my humidifier controls. (I'll trust the American made sensor before the rest)

Yeah, I was thinking to figure out a way to raise the rods without permanently modifying the fridge...but if this guy works out well, I will go to town on modifications if need be. This was was brand new for $167. So while not super cheap...cheap enough to mod it out if I feel it's a good chamber.

I have already repositioned the dehumidifier on the top of that shelf because I was concerned it was blowing too much air on the meat above it. So now it sits behind the meat and theorhetically less direct airflow. May make more changes.

For now, I just open the door for about 30 seconds to get fresh air in there...and I am thinking every week rotate the meat around for even drying. There is a faint scent of the meat in there, and it smells great!

Update: Partial Fail and Lessons learned

Well, I was able to keep my rig consistent with the right temps after making some adjustments and moving things around. Unfortunately, I had a spat of mold that I really didn't tend to soon enough and ultimately made the decision NOT to eat it. For practice purposes, I did wipe down with 50/50 water and vinegar and it didn't come back. I was fearful that it did penetrate the meat. So, using an overabundance of caution, I decided not to eat it, but continue the process for practice.

And wouldn't you know? It really did turn out great! Smells amazing. I did see a small spot of mold on the meat, and the case hardening was present. Also, I let this dry way too long...both were like 20-30g lighter than my target weight.

Some lessons learned:

1. Set calendar reminders for opening door for airflow, humidifier/dehumidifier maintenance, my moisture towel, etc
  2. Set reminders for weekly check for weight after x weeks
  3. inspecting for mold and correcting sooner

Anyway, here are the pics.

52946657128_a31ba039dc_b.jpg

52946125016_b1a3a5eb39_b.jpg

52945531597_9eb8887894_b.jpg

52946125006_fa1778e471_b.jpg

52946271109_4b4eddb0c1_b.jpg

52946514190_f9301c8087_b.jpg

Back