Chamber vacuum sealer-any recommendations?

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
After messing around again with my cheap vacuum sealer, I'm heavily leaning toward getting a chamber sealer.

There have been a number of questions posted over the years to this forum about chamber sealers. I'm re-asking the question since there are some new brands and new models from existing brands on the market. Would appreciate folks experiences/recommendations.

NOTE: primary use is for portioning servings; marinading proteins; sous vide cooking. While this isn't for commercial use, I do tend to cook in quantity. Would expect regular use (e.g., sealing at least 3 items at least 3 times a week).

Thanks in advance!
Bruce

I'm thinking about a chamber sealer as well. Looking at one of the Vevor units. I've heard good things about their products, and I actually just bought a meat slicer from them which I'm going to use for the first time later today.

There's a Youtube guy that did a video comparing one of the Vevor Chamber Vac units to his $1,040 unit and said the Vevor was actually really really good at a fraction of the price.

Here's the video (For the Youtube Nazi's this is a video comparing a Vevor Chamber Vac to a much more expensive Chamber Vac unit).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8BqRJxLPD0

Take a look at Avid Armor sealers. I have their USV32 and I'm happy with it. I'm not using mine quite as much as your usage all the time but do have weeks when I exceed that. They also have a newer line with oil pumps which are more heavy duty and can handle the occasional occurrence of liquids getting sucked into the pump.

https://avidarmor.com/?gad=1&gclid=...Ri94pmApaNlM9DxHfID1B5zRUYvQJmU0aAlvgEALw_wcB

I have the same one, and really enjoy it. The seals have been FAR superior to anything my Foodsaver ever did. Once you dial in the pressure you don't have to worry about crushing things. I can throw in leftover bbq meets and keep the juices still in the food. I even use it on other random things like bags of shredded cheese that I just want to seal, etc.

I probably would have upgraded to a version with the pump, but just don't have the space to store it on a cart. Those are seriously beefy , so I'd make sure to plan it out. This one isn't bad and I store it on a shelf to grab when needed.

I'm also in camp 'wish I had done this sooner'

I have the Vacmaster VP320. It's my second one after the first one burned up in our house fire. 16"x20" chamber.

Attachments

• cf1p1qte.jpg
    cf1p1qte.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 197
I’m satisfied with the Avid Armor. It does a good job but not quite as good as my son’s Vevor.

I have the JVR 100. It is an oil pump and has been a workhorse for me. It has a lower profile, so it stays out on the counter and gets used. If you use the code FB120 and you get 120 bucks off the purchase price. I don’t get anything,just a happy customer.

I’ve had this one for several years - there’s currently a 25% off sale.

https://www.meatyourmaker.com/preserve/food-sealer/vacuum-sealers/chamber-vacuum-sealer/1117075.html#start=1

Has an oil pump and is very heavy. I have it on a cart I wheel into and out of our laundry room. I’ve sealed hundreds of bags with it and it’s never given me a problem. If your plan is to carry it into your kitchen or keep it on a shelf in the cabinet, it might be a little unwieldy. The seal from a chamber sealer is superior to the typical “suck on one end of a bag” style. I have one of those as well though, they have a place. A large brisket or ribs won’t fit in my chamber vac, and that’s what I use the 16” external vacuum sealer for.

@Itsdone: Thanks for that link! If you've hd success with a $300 unit, that's super helpful!

I'd REALLY prefer to not spend $800-$900. I'm also of the opinion that it's better to buy once and cry once (although, I'm a cheap bugger and have needed to frequently re-learn this lesson).

Bruce

AvidArmor gets my vote and got my money.... couldn't be happier. Light enough to be stored in a cabinet when not in use.

Take a look at Avid Armor sealers. I have their USV32 and I'm happy with it. I'm not using mine quite as much as your usage all the time but do have weeks when I exceed that. They also have a newer line with oil pumps which are more heavy duty and can handle the occasional occurrence of liquids getting sucked into the pump.
I just bought their USV20 as "Amazon Warehouse" aka customer return for $224.67. Very good deal. My use is like yours -- mostly portioning but it will also work as an external vacuum sealer for larger things like pork belly for curing. I don't anticipate a future need for a larger one.

Bought a VP 215 in Jan 2018....worked great until last year...pump started acting up and wouldn't work anymore...called customer service they suggested draining the oil, replace with Sea Foam, run a few cycles, drain and refill with pump oil...problem solved. They also suggested oil changes every 6 months vs once a year as per the owners manual.

@Itsdone: Thanks for that link! If you've hd success with a $300 unit, that's super helpful!

I'd REALLY prefer to not spend $800-$900. I'm also of the opinion that it's better to buy once and cry once (although, I'm a cheap bugger and have needed to frequently re-learn this lesson).

Bruce

If you do get it, make sure you buy extra pump oil, and check the oil level every 3 months if you use it a lot.

Any USVX owners out there? Looks like their updated model to the USV20...I have a foodsaver as a gift, and has worked great for the last year or two...but always looking for better ways to conserve and make food.

Back