Does spritzing really help?

I will spritz, only on ribs, and only to add either shine or flavor at the last 30 minutes of the cook. Otherwise, keeping the door closed is best. I do use a water pan, as I believe the moist air aids tremendously in a small cooker.

Spritzing doesn't help with adding moisture...

I spritz with apple juice, not for flavor but it leaves a great clear gloss on the ribs... makes a great presentation.

Mad Man, are you saying every so many minutes or just a time or two towards the final hour... Or?

Thank you

Neither make your meat moist. moisture comes from within from collagen converting to gelatin.

Aaron Frankin uses a water pan saying it helps keep the cook chamber (not necessarily the meat) moist and to reduce the possibility of burning the meat. He also mentions spritzing and mopping to keep the meat moist. Be he also reiterates if you're looking too much your not cooking.

[ame]https://youtu.be/pGZ39yYxeBk[/ame]

I found out that when you spritzing your loosing heat and just washing the rub off your meat too , I just don't do it anymore .

Aaron Frankin uses a water pan saying it helps keep the cook chamber (not necessarily the meat) moist and to reduce the possibility of burning the meat. He also mentions spritzing and mopping to keep the meat moist. Be he also reiterates if you're looking too much your not cooking.

https://youtu.be/pGZ39yYxeBk
Some boys wear a belt & suspenders I reckon they're just paranoid. I could spill my beer on it but it don't make it inside so why bother. Moist meat comes from proper cooking. My meat don't burn & I don't run no water in my pits it's called good design & fire management.

I mess with spritzing from time to time. Seems like it can help and hurt your bark. Add too much surface moisture and the bark won't really set. You can also wash away rub. If I spritz I re-dust with rub from a shaker. I've experimented with building up layers of bark on butts that way. Turns out some good pulled pork.

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I really like hearing all of the different opinions on why someone does or does not do something. Each side makes some good points and has a valid argument. Some of the reasoning above is quite interesting to say the least. In the end it reminds me of the fat up or fat down and lump versus briquettes debate. I guess the only conclusion that can be drawn is there is more than one way to skin a cat. So skin him however you chose:thumb:

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I really like hearing all of the different opinions on why someone does or does not do something. Each side makes some good points and has a valid argument. Some of the reasoning above is quite interesting to say the least. In the end it reminds me of the fat up or fat down and lump versus briquettes debate. I guess the only conclusion that can be drawn is there is more than one way to skin a cat. So skin him however you chose:thumb:
The ASPCA has been informed of your post.

There are some good reasons to spritz such as adding flavor, building a glaze or bark, keeping the bark from getting too dark, etc.

Effectiveness depends on what you're spritzing with, how much and when.

I think it's important for people to experiment with different techniques and find what works for them. What works well for one person on one pit might not work as well for someone else with a different pit and so it might not be worth the extra work/heat loss/cook time for them but it might be for someone else.

Ultimately, the only way to get more moisture into a piece of meat than is naturally in it is to brine or inject.

Moisture does come from rendered fat and connective tissue in the meat but the theory behind using a water pan is that the steam it creates reduces the evaporation taking place so that what moisture does come to the surface of the meat doesn't evaporate off it.

Another thing to consider is that everyone is going to have different ideas of what is considered "moist" or not. One man's moist is another man's dry.

Back