THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1. Burgers are meant to be fatty. Know that awesome "grass-fed" beef burger you got at the restaurant? Remember how juicy it was? Yeah that's cuz it was anything BUT lean. Probably 80/20 or even fattier. So ditch the 93/7 unless you're a health nut or have some other serious reason. Beef fat generates loads of flavor, unlike pork where the lean meat can shine decently on its own. One thing you'll never hear advertised in a famous burger joint is "try our world famous LEAN burger", because it doesn't work.

2. Don't season the hell outta your beef. Apply a very light amount of seasoning when mixing to make patties. Then shortly before you toss them on, sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and butcher-grind black pepper and lightly pat into the meat. Toss on and cook 3-5 mins per side, flipping only once.

3. If you're having issues with it falling apart, add one egg to every 2lbs of beef. It helps keep things together when cooking. Some will say adding an egg changes it. I call BS.

I use 93%. When mixing in the spices I throw in a handfull of shredded mixed cheese before I press out the burgers. I also throw in some carmelized onions and diced sweet peppers. Even with the onions and peppers added the cheese works as a great binder and keeps it together!

P.s. - To stay on topic I'll add that the dimple keeps the burger from becoming a grilled meatball(flat)!

So you are substituting milk fat for pure beef fat? Any special reason for that?

Sounds more like he's not subbing it, but rather simply knows that 93% is not fatty enough to make a proper burger so he mixes in binders/fillers to help with this shortcoming.

People can promote using lean beef all they want, but when it's all said and done, it all boils down to 1 thing ----- burgers aren't healthy, nor were they ever meant to be. Keep em fatty, folks.

Well now that makes sense. I never thought of the fact that I don't get to the point of popping up like a meat ball. Maybe that's why I observed it when people would lid their cook. Trapping heat and quickly raising the temp of the meat. I still like the border I put on my burgers with my thumb when I press them. The centers are slightly shorter than the edges.

So you are substituting milk fat for pure beef fat? Any special reason for that?
Nice catch... yes! There is a reason. My wife was raised by a health nut and only ate turkey burgers. I was raised by a southern ma who thought food should taste great and cooked with ground chuck 80%. My wife and I compromise with lean beef with the adjuncts.

Sounds more like he's not subbing it, but rather simply knows that 93% is not fatty enough to make a proper burger so he mixes in binders/fillers to help with this shortcoming.

People can promote using lean beef all they want, but when it's all said and done, it all boils down to 1 thing ----- burgers aren't healthy, nor were they ever meant to be. Keep em fatty, folks.

Spot on nick!

Indenting the center of the pattie does two things. It gives you a uniform burger when it's finished (no thick center) and because it's uniform you won't have a raw center while the outside is done. Same flavor and doneness throughout.

If you grind your own burger and keep it a very coarse grind, not fine like you get at the store, and don't overwork the patty, they won't swell up and you don't have to indent the thing. IMHO

I just make my patties slightly concaved and they never swell up to become meatballs. 80/20 and 1 flip. Watching the average joe form their own burger patties makes me sad.

Back