Does it bother you?

This is all in all the most polite, considerate forum I have ever participated in. I will confess that I participate a lot more when I am preparing or executing a cook, but I would never not thank folks for advice, or try to contradict it. There is nothing more annoying than someone asking you a question then telling you your answer os wrong. Happens a lot in technical fields.

I agree, but I can accept the fact that maybe they took the information and may post in a future thread.

Where I have my biggest stumbling block is when we are asked and offer information and then they become argumentative of what many have told them. IE: The most common is when they under-cook a brisket and they think it's dry and over-cooked. We all tell them to throw out all common cooking sense and start with fresh knowledge... A hard to slice brisket appears dry, where as an over cooked brisket will crumble. There are so many other topics with similar info.

My thought is, if you want to argue about the information you asked for, why did you bother to ask in the first place.

That's the truth. Seen it over and over, many just refuse to accept that their dry, tough brisket is under done.:confused:

Welcome to just about ANY type of forum life with that type of behavior.

It's just the way folks are. The best way to deal with it is just to not expect much from people in general. Doing what I do for a living, I'm constantly disappointed in most all people I come in contact with. Forums included. Having said that, this place has been Great! Thanks folks!

Oh!! And there are a ton of forums out there that do not use a "Like" button function. They may just have no clue how to work a forum.

I've always appreciated the fact that folks 'round here are patient enough to post and repost and repost and repost and... (you get the picture) excellent words/thoughts/techniques that are buried (shallowly) in the Roadmap thread (and others) without getting all upset about someone not running an exhaustive search.

I always do my best to search the forums before asking a question (Lord knows there's a ridiculous amount of corporate knowledge out there)... but sometimes I just can't find it before I post.

We all get busy... are busy... so, I guess I just try to lend a hand where I can... without expecting/hoping for too much in return. A "thank you" is nice... but I'd really rather learn how so-and-so's experiment/meal/cook turned out based on the questions asked... Heck, I almost always learn something in the process!

That's why this is a Community!... it's more than just a forum. Folks seem to genuinely give a rat's behind about other folks and their adventures.

Sorry... semi-lubricated soapbox speech - Complete.

This is the most supportive and kindest forum ever. Never have I experienced negativity. Though I have laughed at the arguments of others. Because of the kindness of all I try hard to be thankful for advice. But sometimes life gets complicated. I have posted cook threads on Sunday and been to busy on Monday to check Back. But if you ask for advice you should reply. Never bothered me but I am not a frequent flyer. I can understand disappointment of responses when u put effort and thought into responses. But I try not to judge. Maybe my advice isn't very good. Haha. Or maybe their lives are as crazy as mine.

If I do that I expect a swift kick in the pants! Not how I was raised but sometimes I get busy and forget to check back on my posts.

All and all though for a forum of this size it's about a friendly as you get. Good moderating makes a big difference as well as folks that have been here for a long time sure help. As for those that just like to argue I just gloss over that stuff.

Please don't stop offering advice. While the person who asked for it might not acknowledge it, I guarantee you it will end up helping others down the line.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81360&highlight=inception

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - This

Bob makes an excellent point. Even if the OP doesn't acknowledge your advice, I can guarantee you will still be helping someone else in the future. I can't tell you how many times I've found helpful answers to a search because the great brethren here took the time to share their advice. Please keep sharing that great advice!

p.s. Yes, I realize people not using the search function could be a whole other thread. :)

I too, am mostly a lurker here and have learned so much and am grateful for those that do participate and give advice. I guess, I see that there are so many here that have much more knowledge that I do, that I just don't give advice....although I think I could because of how much I've learned...go figure.
I really appreciate this forum and yes, it is one of the nicest places on the interweb!
Smoking a Butt Wednesday

There is so much knowledge here I feel that someone else can (will) offer better advise than I can. I will offer my opinion or how I do something though. Not being thanked or acknowledged doesn't bother me. Now, if you PM me or vise versa, I (and you) should expect a reply of some sort. I'm sure I'm guilty of not replying to a post, but it was accidental. I try to subscribe to every post I start to avoid that though.
I've learned a ton through this site. Thank you all.

This is a great forum and I've received a lot of great advice here. Thanks again, just in case I forgot to say so in the past.

Back