THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I would guess on average most everyone trims at a minimum 3 of the 4 primary kcbs categories. Maybe leaving one of the big meats out as one item that doesn't get trimmed. I know back in the day I used to leave butts and brisket for the event since they didn't take that long, but now I trim everything at home. It's nice not having to worry about trimming, especially if you are out in the open with no trailer.

I used to trim everything at the comp. Between trimming, injecting, and building the boxes, I didn't have any time to socialize, check out the venue, or really enjoy the trip. I would be so tired by Saturday afternoon that loading up seemed impossible. Simply trimming the meats at home made that much much better. I now have time to actually meet the other competitior!

I usually trim and freeze chicken 8 pieces on Monday and 8 pieces on Tues. I'll trim the ribs so I know that I have 6 good racks. I trim the butts and brisket on Wednesday or Thursday. I just don't like to risk showing up at the comp and discovering something wrong that I don't like, then I don't have the opportunity to get more meat - depending on where we are.

I usually just trim up the chicken, especially in the summer months when it's much less messy to do it in an air-conditioned kitchen than in 90 degree heat.

The other meats don't take me too much time to do, so I do them on-site.

^^^^ exactly what I do. For those who do trim the pork and brisket at home, what do you bag it back up in. That's the current reason I travel with it in it's original cryo.

I normally trim everything at home and have all of the boxes made as well. If it is a double or I just didn't have time at home that week, priority order is chicken (messy and time consuming), brisket (make sure it doesn't have a big packer slash), pork, ribs last. I have been buying single packs of ribs, so I know what I have. If I went back to 3-packs, I would at least pull them out of the cryo and inspect them.

Trim it all at home under controlled conditions (A/C).
Labels from the original packaging get cut out and placed in VacuSeal bags with the meat and everything gets vacuum packed.
I used to do it all on site, but what a farking pain in the a$$.

I trim chicken, pork, and brisket at home. Ribs on site.

What does everyone out the ribs in when they go back I the cooler? I've been putting them in 2 trashbags.

Where do you find vacuum bags big enough for the big meats. The largest ones i have found its hard to get 8lb butts in.

+1 on trimming at home and using the 2 gallon freezer bags. For me, 2 trimmed racks of spares fit nicely into a ziploc bag.

Butt easily fit in the expandable food saver bags:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Foodsaver-Expandable-Vacuum-Bag-Rolls/dp/B00AL2AV2O"]Amazon.com: Foodsaver Expandable Vacuum Bag Rolls: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51l6SPTh7kL.@@AMEPARAM@@51l6SPTh7kL[/ame]

I trim chicken at home so I can keep the pieces cold. Defatting the skin is time consuming and it helps to have the skins as cold as possible while doing it.

Everything else I do on site. None of it takes too long and I kinda feel like that's part of the competition experience.

Back