comp chicken cooker

troy64

Full Fledged Farker
It seems as if the majority of the comps I've been in or watched that the chicken turn ins which do the best are more grilled than smoked. Several of the teams I know just grill chicken and usually get walks. Does anyone find this to be the case? Also what are most of you using to cook chicken on at comps?

Probably need a little more info on whether you are cooking in KCBS or some other sanctioning organization or back yard. I know from a KCBS observation in the present, that nearly everyone cooks thighs in pan braised in butter and the pan covered in foil. The thighs never see smoke until the final 5-10 minutes after a dunk in sauce. You will see some teams cooking legs and that seems to be more prevalent in the east and southeast cook-offs. I personally love and prefer grilled chicken, but I do not know of anyone turning in grilled chicken.

In KCBS, you will see all kinds of different cookers. Some teams have only one, some teams have multiple cookers.

Good luck,

Robert

This would be for BCA competition. Chicken turn in is a half chicken in a box lined with foil only.

BCA IIRC follows same process as IBCA in that judges are from the general public. Most times that means that "backyard" style grilling "jailbird" chicken on something like a Weber kettle is what wins as that is what the general public is used to.

Back