Do you pre trim before comps?

I would guess on average most everyone trims at a minimum 3 of the 4 primary kcbs categories. Maybe leaving one of the big meats out as one item that doesn't get trimmed. I know back in the day I used to leave butts and brisket for the event since they didn't take that long, but now I trim everything at home. It's nice not having to worry about trimming, especially if you are out in the open with no trailer.

I used to trim everything at the comp. Between trimming, injecting, and building the boxes, I didn't have any time to socialize, check out the venue, or really enjoy the trip. I would be so tired by Saturday afternoon that loading up seemed impossible. Simply trimming the meats at home made that much much better. I now have time to actually meet the other competitior!

I usually trim and freeze chicken 8 pieces on Monday and 8 pieces on Tues. I'll trim the ribs so I know that I have 6 good racks. I trim the butts and brisket on Wednesday or Thursday. I just don't like to risk showing up at the comp and discovering something wrong that I don't like, then I don't have the opportunity to get more meat - depending on where we are.

We usually trim chickens and ribs at home, then trim butts and briskets at the comp.

I usually just trim up the chicken, especially in the summer months when it's much less messy to do it in an air-conditioned kitchen than in 90 degree heat.

The other meats don't take me too much time to do, so I do them on-site.

^^^^ exactly what I do. For those who do trim the pork and brisket at home, what do you bag it back up in. That's the current reason I travel with it in it's original cryo.

I normally trim everything at home and have all of the boxes made as well. If it is a double or I just didn't have time at home that week, priority order is chicken (messy and time consuming), brisket (make sure it doesn't have a big packer slash), pork, ribs last. I have been buying single packs of ribs, so I know what I have. If I went back to 3-packs, I would at least pull them out of the cryo and inspect them.

Trim it all at home under controlled conditions (A/C).
Labels from the original packaging get cut out and placed in VacuSeal bags with the meat and everything gets vacuum packed.
I used to do it all on site, but what a farking pain in the a$$.

I trim chicken, pork, and brisket at home. Ribs on site.

What does everyone out the ribs in when they go back I the cooler? I've been putting them in 2 trashbags.

Where do you find vacuum bags big enough for the big meats. The largest ones i have found its hard to get 8lb butts in.

+1 on trimming at home and using the 2 gallon freezer bags. For me, 2 trimmed racks of spares fit nicely into a ziploc bag.

Butt easily fit in the expandable food saver bags:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Foodsaver-Expandable-Vacuum-Bag-Rolls/dp/B00AL2AV2O"]Amazon.com: Foodsaver Expandable Vacuum Bag Rolls: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51l6SPTh7kL.@@AMEPARAM@@51l6SPTh7kL[/ame]

I trim chicken at home so I can keep the pieces cold. Defatting the skin is time consuming and it helps to have the skins as cold as possible while doing it.

Everything else I do on site. None of it takes too long and I kinda feel like that's part of the competition experience.

Back