Do I want an offset?

This is awesome info! I think I've official left "just looking" to seriously shopping. I didn't see anything I thought of as a drawback. Other than finding the time, maybe. I really appreciate the feedback!

I have one of the first Shirley Fabrication offset built. I have a vision kamado, 2Weber WSM's and a 22.5 Weber kettle. I grill or smoke usually about 5 days per week on average. The stick burner is by far my favorite cooker in the fleet. If I am looking for the very best in smoked meats Tushka is my go to smoker. I use her in KCBS Competitions here in Europe. There are usually one or two others in every competition I cook in. There is a bond with other people that run stick burners because we are up all night tending fires while others are fast asleep. I am also looking at Ole Hickory to try my hand at a vertical offset that is also well insulated.
Ron has a very good point about cooking with someone that has a stick burner, be careful though, they are more addictive than crack, if you like fire!

Good luck!

Right now I use a Bubba Keg Grill (Grandfather of the Big Steel Keg) kamado cooker. I love it but I can't fit enough food on it. What I think I want is an offset smoker, and maybe even one that has both the horizontal and vertical chambers. Or maybe even just an offset vertical. I like the idea of fat dripping down from one food to another to another.

What do you guys (and gals) think? How much work are offsets? How much better is the flavor? Do you guys have any suggestions in the $1,000 - $1,500 range? I'm not ready to spend more than that, but I also don't want to end up with a smoker I do use.

Thanks all!

I don't have a stickburner but I do process and burn a lot of wood so I will give this advice....if you do go the stickburner route take your fuel seriously, be prepared to think ahead when it comes to always having enough seasoned wood on hand. If you don't want to acquire, split, season and store enough wood then you'll probably be frustrated with stick burning. It's not that hard but it does take a little forethought and prep.

If you want a stick burner that is easy to smoke with, check out the M1 from M Grills.

I hear a ton on how stick burning is so hard. Believe me, its not with the right pit. The M1 is not your traditionally designed offset smoker, but it is a full blown wood fire (or charcoal) smoker with the addition of a fully adjustable charcoal grill.

btw..when it comes to stick burning on the M1, you need to add a log of wood or two every 3-5 hours. At worst every 1-2 hours depending if your wood is too dry.

Just something to consider. mgrills.com

Right now I use a Bubba Keg Grill (Grandfather of the Big Steel Keg) kamado cooker. I love it but I can't fit enough food on it. What I think I want is an offset smoker, and maybe even one that has both the horizontal and vertical chambers. Or maybe even just an offset vertical. I like the idea of fat dripping down from one food to another to another.

What do you guys (and gals) think? How much work are offsets? How much better is the flavor? Do you guys have any suggestions in the $1,000 - $1,500 range? I'm not ready to spend more than that, but I also don't want to end up with a smoker I do use.

Thanks all!

Have you considered adding another keg... or two?
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89597

Yes...yes you do. Try and get one that is made of 1/4" steel, not 1/8". Much better heat retention. Look on craigslist. I recommend a Brinkmann Cimmeron if you can find one. Used you can spend under 400 bucks for one. It's a good beginner offset. That's what I started on and I still use it when I'm doing just a weekend cook and not doing a huge job. You can also make tons of mods to make an offset more user friendly. Do it.

Just got my first stick burner/offset, have complete 3 cooks plus the initial seasoning. As far as fire management goes the learning curve was about 3 hours (the seasoning). I don't chase temps don't use any fancy electronics just wood/fire/air. I want temp to go up I add wood, temp goes too high I open the door and the draft brings temp down, need temp to ride at 275 keep door cracked about 2"... All things I learned from the Brethren and Aaron Franklin's video series on PBS. Since I had a 20 week wait after I ordered my cooker I read/absorbed all I could on this forum, once I had the smoker it was like I had been doing this my whole life. Yes you need to pay attention and add fuel as needed, you need to clean out the fire box after everything has cooled off but there is maintenance on any cooker. Bottom line do you want to be involved or want to set it and forget it.

Seriously, follow Ron's advice and find someone near you that has one and help them with a butt or brisket cook in November. Or, buy a relatively cheap offset and learn on it before you jump into spending big money on a nice offset. I went from a WSM to a top of the line LSG Vertical offset. I work from home a lot and was used to smoking dinner while I was working. I cooked on it ten times before I put it up for sale. Just a lot more hands on then I expected. Sold it and got an LSG cabinet (picture a WSM on STEROIDS), and I love it.

Not trying to be a downer. There are 10 people that buy a stick burner and love it compared to one me. I just suggest that you make sure that is what you really want before you drop $$$ on something...

If you like tending a fire, being in total control of your cook, splitting wood, stacking wood, sitting and relaxing in front of your pit, throwing on a split every 45 minutes, smelling that sweet aroma of wood burning,hearing the crackling of burning wood,cook low and slow or hot and fast just by throwing on another split. Then you are just like me. You will totally enjoy the art of stick burning. It is not for everyone but, I look forward to every time I start my fire. Good luck with your decision.

Hijack Alert!

I have one of the first Shirley Fabrication offset built. I have a vision kamado, 2Weber WSM's and a 22.5 Weber kettle. I grill or smoke usually about 5 days per week on average. The stick burner is by far my favorite cooker in the fleet. If I am looking for the very best in smoked meats Tushka is my go to smoker. I use her in KCBS Competitions here in Europe. There are usually one or two others in every competition I cook in. There is a bond with other people that run stick burners because we are up all night tending fires while others are fast asleep. I am also looking at Ole Hickory to try my hand at a vertical offset that is also well insulated.
Ron has a very good point about cooking with someone that has a stick burner, be careful though, they are more addictive than crack, if you like fire!

Good luck!

Did you get that Shirley shipped to France?

I have only cooked on my East Texas backyard smoker 5 times but I find it a lot of work. I know its new as well as I am a novice stick burner cook, but I cannot walk away for 5 minutes it seems without fire needing attention. It could be my wood is really not seasoned yet or my inexperience showing. I got spoiled by my WSM for 11 years of simple smoking. That said, my last cook on backyard unit was a 7# brisket which took 7 hours and was fantastic. What a different taste and so juicy. Guess I did something right but it was work!!

Back