Do I really want a stick burner?

I am blessed to have been able to retire at age 46 so a stick burner for me is not a chore but an enjoyable experience that I look forward to and enjoy. I might feel different if I was still working. Even when I had my ECB decades ago it was a weekend only thing 4+ hours minimum on anything I cooked plus I did not use it on weekdays. You need to decide what is right for your situation at your current stage in life. Is a stick burner a necessity? NO! But it sure is nice to have and it not only produces great food but provides an experience you cant get with other types of smokers. You have to decide if that experience is right for you. The other great thing about a stick burner the quality of a Shirley or LSG, it is a lifetime investment that you will pass on to future generations.

Yeah, sorry for the novella. Trust me, it hurt typing all that up. Like ripping the band-aid off an old wound...

The interesting part of your story to me is that you were trying to run a stick burner while working. Mixing work with pleasure can turn a fun activity into a chore. I can totally understand why you didn't bond with it.

See what I mean....... he's got a Story to tell for years.......:mrgreen:

I'd try a Cheap one first. Not a tinfoil Charbroil but an Old Country or even a Ok Joes or a Craigslist find.......

A cheap one could lead to a bad experience simply because if the cheapness and not because a stick burner is the wrong choice. I like the rental suggestion better, but you can also do some soul searching with a bit of honesty and all the advice and experience on this board and figure out what will and wont work for you.

He even tried to sell his WSM as Soon as he got the BadAzz LSG Stickburner.......:shock:

See, now thats just plain wrong. Cookers are like guns. You always need more, and you never sell any, you just buy more.

Nope, the WSM is gone now too. I can cook a little or a lot in my cabinet. No need for two tools that do the same. Plus, another good Brethren has that now and I believe is using it in comps...

You probably don't need one, but u thunk it so what the hey it is only money get two and send one to me :becky:

I'm here just to read and be entertained....... I say, Get Both...It's only Money!! lol

OH!! I have a stick burner (Old Country Brazos) and a Full Size LSG IVC like THoey1963.
Most all cooks are on the LSG IVC with Great results, but I have the stick burner when I'm looking for an excuse to be lazy and drink beer all day :)

E1FF71C1-E578-444D-AB6C-943908EE28D2_zpskx3ondmn.jpg

FDF881A6-172E-4410-915E-187FF5EF87AA_zpsatwcbl9s.jpg

My one fiftieth of a buck??? Bought a stick burner that was too small - bought a stick burner that was too large (or I suck as a businessman/caterer) - bought a cabinet smoker in order to not work so hard at cooking - finally bought my dream pit... a horizontal offset smoker and I'm in hog/bovine heaven. Works for me - tending fire, hanging with friends, great food with compliments to go along with it.

What does this mean to the O/P???? Not a doggone thing - it has to be your curiosity, effort and desire to go this route. It's not for everyone but for those who "get it" (not being ugly - just an opinion) they truly love their offset.

Notice I didn't qualify vertical or horizontal.... Smoke On Brothers.

Hello,

I am seriously considering a Shirley Fabrication Reverse Flow stick burner around a 24x50 to 24x60 range on a modified trailer with an insulated firebox. I have never had a stick burner. Do I really want a stick burner - this might be a case of not knowing what I don't know. I know stick burners are high maintenance - please give me an idea of what it would be like to smoke pork butts, ribs, brisket, maybe whole hog, etc. I love the flavor off of a stick burner but need a full picture of what is involved to operate. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

BTW, OP

You're just up the road from me about 15-20 mins, so if you ever decide to go less expensive on the stick burner and wanna see my O.C. Brazos , OR if you decide you might like an LSG IVC, you're more than welcome to come see mine too.

Jason, I wouldn't mind coming to see the Shirley Fab. sometime too...In the event I ever decide to upgrade...

I got my reverse flow about 4 years ago. If you truly like cooking BBQ....not a set it and forget it cooking but an active, fun experience each time (well just about each time haha), a stick burner is the way to go. To me, it's really satisfying working the fire, adding wood when necessary, playing with the temps. It's just a different route to getting that same good BBQ we all like....

agreed 100%

My one fiftieth of a buck??? Bought a stick burner that was too small - bought a stick burner that was too large (or I suck as a businessman/caterer) - bought a cabinet smoker in order to not work so hard at cooking - finally bought my dream pit... a horizontal offset smoker and I'm in hog/bovine heaven. Works for me - tending fire, hanging with friends, great food with compliments to go along with it.

What does this mean to the O/P???? Not a doggone thing - it has to be your curiosity, effort and desire to go this route. It's not for everyone but for those who "get it" (not being ugly - just an opinion) they truly love their offset.

Notice I didn't qualify vertical or horizontal.... Smoke On Brothers.

Your LSG 24x40 is a mighty fine pit. I was jealous when I saw it. :)
If I was in the market for a stick burner, one just like it would be at the top of my list.

BTW, OP

You're just up the road from me about 15-20 mins, so if you ever decide to go less expensive on the stick burner and wanna see my O.C. Brazos , OR if you decide you might like an LSG IVC, you're more than welcome to come see mine too.

Jason, I wouldn't mind coming to see the Shirley Fab. sometime too...In the event I ever decide to upgrade...

Totally. Just let me know :-D

Really great discussion here.

Reading about the care and feeding of the stick burners reminds of advice my dad gave me 55 years ago. "Son, if you want to make good BBQ, you need lots of time, and lots of beer". During the summer, he would start early on Saturday morning, and have friends and neighbors over for early evening food and eat into the night. Great times.

Almost makes me want to get a stick burner.

Back