THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vet entry

yarr, and all that...another entry for the vets

entry pic:
C05EC287-CECF-4E51-8F41-62A5E221E244_zpssx8ltaqx.jpg

full cook thread found here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195855

Throwdown entry for Noobs

Please accept this as my entry to the vets vs noobs TD.....:mrgreen:

So I decided to do a reverse sear ribeye. Never done one before but it turned out great! Probably the best steak I've eaten to date!

Here's what I started with Ribeye, purple potatoes, and bacon wrapped asparagus:

20140815_180919-1_zpsde8932df.jpg

attachment.php

Grill all ready to go with ribeye and asparagus loaded up. I seasoned the ribeye with a little garlic powder, salt, pepper, and yard bird. Same with the asparagus after a coating of olive oil, then wrapped with bacon.

20140815_191319-1_zpsaad44748.jpg

attachment.php

Steak is done and resting so its time to put on the purple potatoes. They were boiled whole with a tablespoon of Zatarains crab boil in the water until nearly done then cooled and sliced. Added olive oil, salt, pepper, yard bird, and garlic. Yum!

20140815_194831_zpsfd53517a.jpg

attachment.php

All done and plated!

20140815_195623_zps88221d10.jpg

attachment.php

Please accept the below pic as my poling pic:

20140815_195949_zps160fb790.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Please accept this as my entry into the noobs vs. vets contest. The last picture is my entry. I am certainly a noob.

I went by Whole Foods today and they had some grass fed ribeyes. I've never really had that type of thing before, so I thought I would try it. In the end the meat turned out properly done and was really nice. However, I really don't like the taste of the grass fed beef as much as the regular corn fed stuff that I grew up on apparently.

I put some garlic into the steak, did a dusting of smoked sea salt, steak seasoning, and Piliteries marinade.

I tried the sear in the rear technique. I let my decent sized steak and my wife's puny one (which she likes cooked well done) heat through indirect means.

MMM_8324.JPG

Then, when mine hit about 110 degrees I moved them over direct heat and added the white asparagus.

MMM_8325.JPG

Time to eat.

MMM_8327.JPG

Contest photo below

MMM_8328.JPG

Thanks to Moose I now have seeable pictures for the ribeye I submitted. Its one page back.....Hey if I didn't screw this up once or twice I couldn't be on Team Noob!....lol
:oops: :biggrin1:

Official Veteran Farkenaught Entry.

Bacon-wrappped asian wings, inspired by General Tso.

Here are the marinade players...

I took some wing drums, skin removed (not needed with a bacon wrap), and added them to the marinade. The General said to let them marinade for at least an hour.

He then said that I should wrap the marinated wings in bacon -- bbq-brethren kryptonite. And then put some more of the marinade on them, just to keep Ronelle from issuing a sketchy DQ. :becky:

Then, onto the OTG.

Let them cook until done, and try not to fark up the money shot (below).

The General couldn't taste the finished wings, but I think he would have liked them.

CD

This is my entry in the Veterans vs. Nube touchdown.

Well, I've been told I'm a Nube, so here is an old Nube's cook.
A true ninja blends in, so there will be no skintight, flat black clothes worn during this cook. I will be barefoot, though.
Cook thread
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3027495#post3027495

Here is the voting pic.
finished_zps1bbdf671.jpg

Back