Discussion Thread -> SPECIAL** "Noobians vs. Vets: Season 3!"** Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Vet entry

yarr, and all that...another entry for the vets

entry pic:
C05EC287-CECF-4E51-8F41-62A5E221E244_zpssx8ltaqx.jpg

full cook thread found here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195855

Throwdown entry for Noobs

Please accept this as my entry to the vets vs noobs TD.....:mrgreen:

So I decided to do a reverse sear ribeye. Never done one before but it turned out great! Probably the best steak I've eaten to date!

Here's what I started with Ribeye, purple potatoes, and bacon wrapped asparagus:

20140815_180919-1_zpsde8932df.jpg

attachment.php

Grill all ready to go with ribeye and asparagus loaded up. I seasoned the ribeye with a little garlic powder, salt, pepper, and yard bird. Same with the asparagus after a coating of olive oil, then wrapped with bacon.

20140815_191319-1_zpsaad44748.jpg

attachment.php

Steak is done and resting so its time to put on the purple potatoes. They were boiled whole with a tablespoon of Zatarains crab boil in the water until nearly done then cooled and sliced. Added olive oil, salt, pepper, yard bird, and garlic. Yum!

20140815_194831_zpsfd53517a.jpg

attachment.php

All done and plated!

20140815_195623_zps88221d10.jpg

attachment.php

Please accept the below pic as my poling pic:

20140815_195949_zps160fb790.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Please accept this as my entry into the noobs vs. vets contest. The last picture is my entry. I am certainly a noob.

I went by Whole Foods today and they had some grass fed ribeyes. I've never really had that type of thing before, so I thought I would try it. In the end the meat turned out properly done and was really nice. However, I really don't like the taste of the grass fed beef as much as the regular corn fed stuff that I grew up on apparently.

I put some garlic into the steak, did a dusting of smoked sea salt, steak seasoning, and Piliteries marinade.

I tried the sear in the rear technique. I let my decent sized steak and my wife's puny one (which she likes cooked well done) heat through indirect means.

MMM_8324.JPG

Then, when mine hit about 110 degrees I moved them over direct heat and added the white asparagus.

MMM_8325.JPG

Time to eat.

MMM_8327.JPG

Contest photo below

MMM_8328.JPG

Thanks to Moose I now have seeable pictures for the ribeye I submitted. Its one page back.....Hey if I didn't screw this up once or twice I couldn't be on Team Noob!....lol
:oops: :biggrin1:

Official Veteran Farkenaught Entry.

Bacon-wrappped asian wings, inspired by General Tso.

Here are the marinade players...

I took some wing drums, skin removed (not needed with a bacon wrap), and added them to the marinade. The General said to let them marinade for at least an hour.

He then said that I should wrap the marinated wings in bacon -- bbq-brethren kryptonite. And then put some more of the marinade on them, just to keep Ronelle from issuing a sketchy DQ. :becky:

Then, onto the OTG.

Let them cook until done, and try not to fark up the money shot (below).

The General couldn't taste the finished wings, but I think he would have liked them.

CD

This is my entry in the Veterans vs. Nube touchdown.

Well, I've been told I'm a Nube, so here is an old Nube's cook.
A true ninja blends in, so there will be no skintight, flat black clothes worn during this cook. I will be barefoot, though.
Cook thread
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3027495#post3027495

Here is the voting pic.
finished_zps1bbdf671.jpg

Well I believe I'm a noob, (hanging on the borderline and not sure which way the officials will let me fall) none the less.

** Please accept this as an Offical Entry into the Ninja vs Pirates TD **
Teriyaki Chicken Dumplings

Please use the below photo for the official entry photo
IMG_7605-1024x682.jpg

showthread.php

Back