Diggity Dog Days of Summer--Homemade All-Beef Dogs

Dang it Sako! Why do you do this to me! First it was the McRibs, now I'm going to be making my own hotdogs! Any way we can get the list of seasoning ingredients?

Looks good though! How did the collagen casings work for you? I plan on doing some sausages with collagen casings to see how they work compared to natural casings. Bet they don't work very well

Thanks brotha!

This was my first time using collagen casings and I must say they're way easier to use than natural casings. You just have to me careful not to overfill or under fill. Basically I used what I had laying around which were 21mm (3/4") casings typically used for link or breakfast sausages. Ideally the collagen casing size for the hot dog is 26-28mm (1 1/8"+) or natural sheep casings. Like I said I had clear 21mm casing which is good for par-cooking dogs or sausage. My choice would've been a 26-28mm mahogany collagen casing for hot dogs which are better for smoking. I roll with what I've got usually so there.

Now the recipe I followed was Michael Ruhlman's from Charcuterie with some variations:

I used chuck roast as opposed to his call to use short rib meat

I cut down on the garlic a bit

I par cooked them since I had the clear collagen casing though I finished them on the grill. I also used hog casings for some of it. I wanted to play with the collagen casing to get a fill of how it works for comparison.

Oh and I used Coleman's mustard powder.

Here's the recipe:

2 1/2 lbs chuck or short rib

QGxY0SQh.png

Your dogs look awesome mate,love that grinder as well

Dagnabbit! It's breakfast time here, and now I really want one or two of those dawgs.

Looking mighty fine, Sako!

Have a great weekend.

Holly Farking Chit!

You are an amazing dude Neighbor !

I have a LEM grinder and feel lame for not putting out some ground up awesome food like you are (that will pas quickly)

I am so impressed with the consistant quality of cooks you show us.

Thanks sako for the info on making the dogs. Why do you par-cook them? Is it something you have to do lets say before freezing packages of hotdogs? If I made something like this I would make enough for freezer food

Holly Farking Chit!

You are an amazing dude Neighbor !

I have a LEM grinder and feel lame for not putting out some ground up awesome food like you are (that will pas quickly)

I am so impressed with the consistant quality of cooks you show us.

Thanks for the kind words bud!

You should bro. I use the heck out of the grinder. Anything from fresh sausage, cured sausage, fresh ground burgers, you name it. I stopped buying sausage and ground anything ever since I got the thing. Love the thing.

Thanks sako for the info on making the dogs. Why do you par-cook them? Is it something you have to do lets say before freezing packages of hotdogs? If I made something like this I would make enough for freezer food

You're welcome! :thumb:

I chose to par cook but absolutely not necessary. I didn't feel like smoking them since I was going to use it all up. What you can do is make them, hot smoke them, put it in an ice bath to stop the cooking process and vacuum and freeze them for later use.

I've never had home made hot dogs but I really love the store bought ones so I know these have to be awesome. They look so good Sako.

I love the wiener! Ooops, I mean... I love your beef dog... sheesh, how do I say this without it sounding bad? Dude, that's a killer looking homemade beef dog.

They look amazing. You obviously have some experience making these. Totally awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics.

I love the wiener! Ooops, I mean... I love your beef dog... sheesh, how do I say this without it sounding bad? Dude, that's a killer looking homemade beef dog.

They look amazing. You obviously have some experience making these. Totally awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Lol thanks man! I've done sausage but first time doing dogs. I'll tell you, it makes it easy when you have the right tools.

Back