THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sandro

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
sandro
I had accidentally left this thread as a reply to another thread—brain misfire!

As Bradley Robinson from Chuds BBQ would put it: nothing beats the flavor of meat cooked over a live fire. I found myself strongly agreeing with his statement, at least for what it concerns Pork and Poultry so far. Cooking a teeny-tiny European pork coppa today, Hill Country style on the Pit Barrel Cooker, for an overwhelmingly tasty outcome.

Crunchy, tangy, salty, decise bark. The insane amount of coarsely-ground black pepper turned up the crunchiness to 11. A buttery, velvety, fatty, luscious meat on the inside. Such richness in flavor perfectly cut by a simple 50/50 BBQ sauce and apple cider vinegar emulsion when served.

Cooking notes for those who may concern:

* Product: Spanish pork coppa, 4,8lb
* Slather: 50/50 French's yellow mustard and Sriracha
* Rub: 4:2:1:1 16-mesh black pepper, kosher salt, Spanish smoked paprika, granulated garlic
* Injection, spray, mop, wrap: no
* Device: Pit Barrel Cooker
* Fuel: B&B Hickory lump charcoal
* Cooking temps: ~250-325f
* Cooking time: ~9 hours
* Rest: ~4 hours
* Probe tender: 198f

Attached: the final product, and a detailed close-up of the amazing barky exterior.

Enable sound:
QLct7Ty.mp4

Attachments

Last edited:
A teeney-tiny pork coppa took 9 hours cooked at 250+???

I bet it WAS great!

Indeed it was! It stalled quite a bit, not sure why. It took forever and shrunk considerably—perhaps it had an insane amount of water? It's barely 2lbs cooked

Back