THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think you may be referring to me. I dump the coals over the unlit, get everything set up (I use a wireless thermometer) and put the lid on. Wait 15-20 min then hang the meat. I believe the instructions tell you to wait 15 min before hanging meat after dumping the coals in....

Here's what the coals look like when I dump them

I also heard that which is what I do most of the time. But in another one of Noah videos this is what he said:

http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/videos/lighting-your-pbc

I usually start my cook right after dumping the chimney but you can do it like Andrew says as well. Just make sure the lid is on during your waiting period.

I also heard that which is what I do most of the time. But in another one of Noah videos this is what he said:

http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/videos/lighting-your-pbc

Hhmm....iI wonder if that was a mistake. I guess you could put the meat in immediately, but I've noticed since I run a thermometer it takes about 10-15 min to get up to temperature. Plus it'll smoke a little at first until the unlit coals get hotter.

I talk to Noah occasionally on the phone. I'll try and remember to ask him. But if i were you, I'd wait at least 10 min. I usually do the last minute meat prep stuff after I dump the coals.

Hhmm....iI wonder if that was a mistake. I guess you could put the meat in immediately, but I've noticed since I run a thermometer it takes about 10-15 min to get up to temperature. Plus it'll smoke a little at first until the unlit coals get hotter.

I talk to Noah occasionally on the phone. I'll try and remember to ask him. But if i were you, I'd wait at least 10 min. I usually do the last minute meat prep stuff after I dump the coals.

Thanks Again, When I check the ribs later on I will take a pic if it is smoking a lot to let everyone see what I mean. its possible that it could be normal and its just me but both times on the ribs the smokiness is overbearing.

Thanks Again, When I check the ribs later on I will take a pic if it is smoking a lot to let everyone see what I mean. its possible that it could be normal and its just me but both times on the ribs the smokiness is overbearing.

OK sounds good. It'll be pretty foggy when you first pull the lid. But that's because of the juices dripping in the coals. I think the off taste you experienced was probably due to the ribs you bought. The only other explanation would be if your PBC isn't getting hot enough. Meaning a low temp fire.

The owner's manual that comes with the PBC says to begin cooking immediately after dumping in your lit coals. Just an FYI. Tomorrow will be my first time using my new PBC, but I plan on letting the coals roll inside the PBC for 10-15 minutes before hanging my meat. Wish me luck!

The owner's manual that comes with the PBC says to begin cooking immediately after dumping in your lit coals. Just an FYI. Tomorrow will be my first time using my new PBC, but I plan on letting the coals roll inside the PBC for 10-15 minutes before hanging my meat. Wish me luck!

Make that PBC "strut". You've got lots of time for a cook. Time is on your side.

Just make sure you put the lid on after you dump the lit coals in or it'll get too hot!

I pulled the ribs and ate and they were delicious. It was the enhanced ribs causing the issue. I'm glad that was the problem. Big thanks to every one for their help

I pulled the ribs and ate and they were delicious. It was the enhanced ribs causing the issue. I'm glad that was the problem. Big thanks to every one for their help

Awesome! It's rare to find an unhappy PBC owner. Glad you figured out the issue! :thumb:

Back