THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just throwing this out there buuuuut, has anyone mention a Weber kettle or the Weber Summit charcoal :mrgreen:

Some food for thought, once I had kids, I stopped using the kettle during the week after work because it was just too much hassle. Ended up getting a Genesis II SE-410 Propane, and cook at least one weekday now.

I've had my WSCG for going on two months now. Since that time, I have fired her up about 20+ times. Mostly grilling, with a couple smokes thrown in. I have not done a butt or a brisket on it yet, but I have done ribs, chicken, burgers, sausages, steaks, apps, pretty much all your basic grill items. Most of the cooks were in the one hour range, a couple took two hours or so, and the rib cook took about 6 hours (other things were smoked too).

First thing I will say is that it is efficient. I filled the charcoal bin up when I first got it by dumping a new bag of KBB into it. I rake the old coals, stir in some new KBB, dump the ash pan, fire her up, cook, and then shut her down. The next cook I do "might" require me to open the second bag.

This WSCG replaced my Weber Genesis S-330. When it comes to start up time, the gasser would be ready to cook a little faster, but were not talking about enough time that I would want a gasser instead of the WSCG for after work grilling. I'd typically start the gasser on high, brush off the grates after it got over 700*, turn it down and let it settle, then start to grill. Twenty minutes? With the WSCG, it might take 30.

As far as temp ranges go, I am still working with consistency at the low (225*) end, can easily keep it stable anywhere from from 250* to 400* as needed, and like that I can open the turbo vents and go from 275* to over 500* in less than 10 minutes. I have not seen how high she will go yet.

If the budget is still up up in the air, I really like assassins grill. You can smoke very well on it too.

Weber grills last so long i have purchased two stand alone 3 leg 22 inch grills in my life. Each time i said i wish i had spent the extra money to get the performer type with built in cart... So this time on my 3rd weber i did!

Attachments

Weber kettle. Tried to deviate years ago to try what else was out there and came running back. Can't beat the Weber kettle.

Tried a lot myself, including a green egg type cooker. Weber kettle is one of the greatest little inventions ever made.....it just is. And I’m no chef but I have never had food prepared on an egg I didn’t feel I could do better on a kettle with the exception of pizza....JMHO

If all you want is high heat cooking machine for grilling.A tractor rim and a grate,a place the put the rim.See Cowgirl's posts.If you wanna get fancy,there are other options.

Back