Dedicated Grill

For 149 dollars the 22 inch Weber kettle is a steal you can grill high heat and smoke low and slow did I mention it will last a life time go to Walmart or order it from Amazon you won't regret it I promise

It depends a bit on how you plan to use it. Ive got a natural gas bbq on my deck under a cover that I use year round. If you are only grilling a couple of steaks, it never made sense to me to fire up the charcoal grill. On the weekends, when I have plenty of time, I use the charcoal grill (Weber 26" kettle), but it would not be my first choice for a dedicated grill if I only had one grill to choose from.

Have to say I love my WSCG. Expensive, but the thing is just a grilling / smoking machine.

You didn't mention size. How many people do you typically want to feed?

It depends a bit on how you plan to use it. Ive got a natural gas bbq on my deck under a cover that I use year round. If you are only grilling a couple of steaks, it never made sense to me to fire up the charcoal grill. On the weekends, when I have plenty of time, I use the charcoal grill (Weber 26" kettle), but it would not be my first choice for a dedicated grill if I only had one grill to choose from.

Steve - Your lucky and I'm not! We don't have any natural gas option where I live and I surely prefer cooking on Natural Gas whenever possible, especially for steaks! The only gas option I have is Propane!

Too many variables and options out there. Do you already own a dedicated smoker? I ask cause if you don't, it won't be long before you go from grilling chops to wanting to smoke some ribs, brisket, etc...

A 22" Weber kettle has served me well for everything for over 3 decades. When it finally wears out, I will get a 26" kettle

Too many variables and options out there. Do you already own a dedicated smoker? I ask cause if you don't, it won't be long before you go from grilling chops to wanting to smoke some ribs, brisket, etc...

JS - yes on the smoker but want a high temperature option for meats. Deep South Smoker coming next month.

The Classic 22" Kettle is probably your best "bang for your buck" option.

The Performer, which is a little better version of that isn't without it's charm. You get a side table, gas starter, and other bells and whistles.

The Summit Charcoal is the king. I'm not sure how it does for high temps, but I imagine just fine.

Big Green Egg wouldn't be a terrible option either, which is what Weber tried to mimic with the Summit.

JS - yes on the smoker but want a high temperature option for meats. Deep South Smoker coming next month.

I'd say save some $ and get a Weber performer and use any extra $ on some fancy meat :thumb:

I'd say save some $ and get a Weber performer and use any extra $ on some fancy meat :thumb:

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

I used a gasser for most of my life,
Then I saw the light a few years ago,
Bought a Weber performer, cleaned up the gasser and its sat in the back corner of the garage since.

You can do just about anything on the Weber,
And it sure tastes better than your average gasser.
JMHO

I'm kind of the reverse. I used charcoal all my life, then eventually picked up a gas. I love my PK and will eventually have a larger smoker of some sort, but for a dedicated grill? Probably a gas Weber of some sort. Charcoal does in fact taste better, but the convenience of gas cannot be beat, especially outside in winter.

Steve - Your lucky and I'm not! We don't have any natural gas option where I live and I surely prefer cooking on Natural Gas whenever possible, especially for steaks! The only gas option I have is Propane!

Propane with a spare tank is not that much worse of an option. If I didnt have a less than 2 year old Weber gasser on the back deck, I would probably be looking at a performer or Weber Summit Grill Center. It all depends how you value convenience versus having a very cool toy out the back door.

I've only recently joined this site, so I'm not sure i'm a full on brethren.

It really depends on convenience, charcoal/gas preference, and how many people you feed.

I have 3 cookers right now, a 18" WSM smoker, Weber Performer 22" kettle, and a Weber Genesis II LX S-440.

The S-440 can cook for a crowd, its got great grease management and cooks very evenly, no flare ups. I cooked a whole mess of marinated chicken cutlets on it this past weekend for a lot of people and everything was evenly done, no flaring, no blackening and some great Kielbasi, I was able to cook it nice and even, and got just the right level of doneness. I haven't tried searing steak on it yet.

The Weber performer gets really hot and can give a nice sear. I'm new to it, so temp control is harder for me, but it has the ability to really really sear something and add that charcoal cooked flavor. I need more practice and hopefully it will work better for me. Honestly after having worked with the performer, I'd probably skip it in favor of the 26", I feel that the 22" starts feeling pretty small quickly when you're trying to cook indirect, but I need more experience, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

If I had 1 grill, I'd have the gasser, but thats b/c I've grown up cooking with gas, and am new to the whole charcoal thing.

Back