Dealing with a neighbor over BBQ smoke

Yes, lots of love from my neighbors. It helps to cook for them and/or send over a plate of food on Sunday. My wife and I can't eat 15 lb's. of brisket, so we invite our friends and neighbors.

Even my veggie neighbor comments on how much she loves the smell of my grill. Ohh, I'll get her to turn toward the dark side... oh yes I will. :icon_devil

Maybe it's a cold weather climate thing, but people who are used to freezing temps generally enjoy the smell of burning wood. Walking around Door county WI or Newport RI in December with all the fireplaces and wood burning stoves is intoxicating.

You hit the nail on the head. (Way) Up here, the smell of a campfire on your clothes makes people smile and ask what cologne you're wearing. All the woodstoves going in the wintertime makes the whole area smell amazing. There are pros and cons to living in a true 4 season region, but every now and then you get to really appreciate even the coldest miserable days.

I have great neighbors, the guy across the street lost his wife a couple of years ago, he lets me know he smells my BBQ and really likes it, I take him BBQ on a regular basis. The one next to me always burns his yard waste in the spring which sends the smoke toward my house and I in return have had a couple of grease fires in my Stumps, always when the wind is blowing toward his house. LOL

Whenever I borrow a tool from him I make sure and send some BBQ his way in return.

It's all good in the hood!!!!

I used to use stubb's briqs all the time but found a cleaner burning all natural briq. stubb's can blow some thick nasty smoke at startup.

I've just switched to Stubbs from lump for the UDS and have found the same thing. I'm going to keep the Stubbs for the kettle and go back to lump for the UDS.

It's obvious to me from what I read here is that people who smoke/BBQ make the best neighbours. I'll be moving at the end of August and I'm praying that my neighbours enjoy the smell of BBQ. I plan to invite them over for our house warming party so they can taste my Q. I'm hoping that will break the ice and start a discussion. As you can see from my tag line my former neighbour didn't take to kindly to my smoke, :p

Yea probably won't be able to grab those any time soon haha! I hear that trader joes make a decent briquette.

Those TJ's briqs are re-badged Rancher. Love those - they're my go-to. Cheap, easy to get, and work great.

When I first moved in the neighborhood everyone, including the builder of my house, said that I needed a lot of luck with my next door neighbor. She was quick to pick up the phone and call regarding different issues within the neighborhood. All I did was offer some food on my first cookout, be neighborly and she has been the best neighbor ever. She even hosts an annual dinner on my move in date and says if anyone else would've moved in she was outta there.

A plate of food to the neighbors once in a while goes a real long way. There is smoke coming from yard at least a few times a week and she has yet to say anything or anyone else for that matter.

Back in my younger days I lived in trailer park and grilled on my Weber Kettle year round. One cold winter night I put a cut up chicken on the grill. When it was ready to pull I brought out a plate and took the cover off the Weber to find ----- raw cut up chicken pieces. My next door neighbor who was a single mother of 4 and a friend fessed up that they couldn't take how good the chicken grilling in the middle of winter smelled, nabbed it and replaced it. I was happy to provide them with a tasty dinner.

Now I live in a neighborhood with a HOA and a minimum lot size of 1-1/2 acres. Last year we had our 1st neighborhood get together and met my neighbor from 2 doors down and can barely see his house from ours. When we introduced ourselves and explained which house was ours he said "oh, your the guy that's grilling all the time".:-D

I have no close neighbors, anyone who lives within a 30 mile radius is considered to be a "neighbor". The closest is 4 miles away.

When I need help, "neighbors" are quick to jump in and lend a hand. I repay them by sharing things I cook. :thumb:

Back