Cutting wood with a chain saw

I agree Kevin. When I was younger and in better health, I really liked horsing the big boys around. my first experiance with a chain saw was in 1960, helping my brother clean up after hurricane Donna. We used a couple of 36 inch bad boys without brakes. Those guys were NOT Vegans. It was learn or be eaten:roll:

Hoorenga said:
The electric motors are less prone to breaking down and you don't have to wear ear plugs (what?). As long as there is an outlet nearby they are great.
Yes, I almost forgot. I wear earplugs anytime that I run my chainsaw, and a lot of other things also. Hearing loss builds and you never realise the damage that you did that day until it is too late.

I have a Stihl MS095 w/20" bar that my wife got me for Father's Day a few years ago after I almost beat the Craftsman (Poulan) I had against a tree. I had grown up with Stihl's cutting wood with my Dad and Granddad and they had never had any problems with them so that's what I wanted. Yes, they are a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Several things I read in here that I also do:
  • I still have the original chain that is almost at the end of it's rope and it's used for crossties and stumps. Ways to dull a chain quick....touch the dirt while it's cutting.....ways to ruin a chain.....hit a rock/wire/nail....might as well put the saw up. People that cut any of these don't use my saw.
  • I have two new chains that I switch out when a good file sharpening is no longer an option and it needs to get a machine sharpening.
  • I also flip the bar over everytime I switch chains to even out the wear on the bottom of the bar
  • I've been trying to make a habit out of touching up the chain with a file before I use it each time and then blow out the air filter every coupla times I use it.
As far as loaning it out, I treat it the same as my 4-wheeler. If I have physically seen you use either and you don't scare the chit out of me doing it, you can borrow it. Otherwise, telling me you've run one before doesn't mean a hill of beans to me. Toys like that are way too dangerous for rookies. Not only that but I really don't want people tearing my toys up either cause they "think" they know how to use them.

For the last couple years, I used an old cheap electric McCulloch. Not much to look at, but did the job.

I just bought a 16" electric Craftsman on sale for $59 (regular $79)-- light duty around the yard, and to cut up pieces for the pit. Price was my main factor because I rarely need to use it so I wanted something cheap. But, I also like how the electrics are so much lighter -- easier to climp up on a ladder to cut down a limb.

Here is the link:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...rtical=LAWN&pid=07134107000&subcat=Chain+Saws

brdbbq said:
How much of the Tax went to your new Stadium ? :twisted:

Funny thing - I actually bought it in Irving, so Jerry didn't get any! Arlington's sales tax rate was low to start, so now (with Jerry tax) its about the same as other cities. Plus, I don't know when the tax kicks in -- it may not be until Jan 1. I already went through it once when we built the Ballpark.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will definitely go for a quality gas 16-18". Problem is I AM a rookie! Never have used a chain saw before:eek:

I have learned to keep the arm I hold the saw with stiff. That way if it kicks back it wont take my nose off. Also don't EVER let some one hold the wood for you unless they are way out of reach. I got over confident once and let my brother get right up close. Dam near took his face off. It is a tool worthy of all of your respect and attention. And get a set of ear muff silencers or you'll go deaf like me.

Back