wood storage

bonz50

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Tony
Time to get a storage rack for my wood, thinkin about getting some of those brackets and use 2x4 to make it out of. it will be sitting on dirt in the barn so I'd like to use treated lumber for the pieces that will be in contact with the ground. should I worry much about anything leaching into the smoke wood??

any thoughts??

I use the brackets but I put them up on cinder blocks. Gets the wood a good foot or so off the ground.

Same here as above with brackets and blocks.

Dug up grass and weeds then put blocks down every 1.5-2ft, then put pressure treated wood in 4 brackets (2 on top, 2 on bottom for each side), this way I have a top rail as well I can drape a tarp over in rain and keep wood dry (outside in yard not under cover), plus it balances and keeps boards straight longer, and I can stack lighter or other wood on top for my firepit and not mix woods.

I've had one for 3 years now with no issues other than 2x4's are starting to turn gray from being in sun and weather 24/7. I also just purchased four more brackets to build another one out of, thanks to hurricane Idalia knocking down 15 of my only yard shade oak trees :evil:.

I'm thinking about buying two more brackets or more and making segregated dividers so I can keep 2-4 different stages of seasoning wood stacked up, or different kinds of wood, instead of just one open 12ft by 5ft space of wood stacked however I can to balance everything out.

Use treated lumber and, joining the clamoring mobs here :wink:, get it off the ground at least 8 inches -coincidentally the height of a cinder block.

Maybe not in your part of CA but the OP is in Alabama. We get humid down in the South.
fact.

tho it will be stored in a barn most likely. I have been debating adding an open lean-to on the side of the barn (which would end up about 10'x40') and turning part of that into a smoke shack when I upgrade the smoker and I'd move the wood there, which I'll have to make my boys do for me :mrgreen:

Back